Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    janbooth

Default Cornelius LOVERIDGE

Cornelius looks to be in the 1861 census of Towcester, parents Thomas & Winifred (RG9/926, folio 84, page 18) with parents Thomas, aged 62, Basket Maker born Whipcote & Winifred, aged 59, born Wolleston, Gloucestershire and sister Emily. If you look on Family Search Pilot website you will find quite a few baptisms between 1819 & 1845 for this couple in various parts of the country. This website also records the marriage of Thomas & Winifred in Olney, Bucks.

He and Caroline and family are also in the 1891 census of Neithrop, Banbury transcribed as LEVERIDGE by Ancestry.

Janet

janbooth

AYRES family:

From Oxfordshire FHS PR Transcripts of Charlbury:

12 February 1882 James AYRES son of William & Emily, Chimney Sweep, Hexit Wood
    12 February 1882 Frank AYRES son of William & Emily, Chimney Sweep, Hexit Wood
    3 May 1887 Alice AYRES daughter of William & Emily, Chimney Sweep, Bayliss Yard, Charlbury, privately baptised
    15 March 1896 Mary Bridget AYRES daughter of William & Emily, Chimney Sweep, Hixet Wood, baptised

The last address would figure, as in the 1901 census of Charlbury, Emily is described as a widow living at Hixet Wood with her family.

I don't know how relevant this might be, but there is also a baptism in Charlbury on 1 July 1877 of a Charles AYRES son of Joseph (deceased) and Ann, Labourer, Hexit Wood. Also a baptism of a Sarah Jane on 29 Dec 1874 to the same couple. Given the address of this Joseph and the fact he was deceased by July 1877, could he be the father of your William and either his name mistranscribed on the marriage details or on the parish register records - perhaps food for thought. Joseph AYRES was buried on 22 May 1877, aged 69 of Hixet Wood. Other burials at Charlbury:

16 May 1887 Alice AYRES, aged 1, Bayliss Yard

Janet

andmar

Thanks Janet but do you (or anyone) know if a trunk maker literally made trunks and what did a tinman do.
    Did he mend pots and pans or was there a skill involved.

Andy.

andmar

Oops sorry, I missed a lot of those posts( I said I was a newbie).
    I'll have to reread them to digest it all.

Thanks again, Andy.

janbooth

Hi Andy,

A Tinman is - you've guessed it - someone who works with tin! I should imagine, given that Cornelius came from a Romany background, that he was originally a Tinker maybe repairing/selling pots & pans. Not sure about a Trunk maker - perhaps something like a Basket Maker but on a larger scale. The Old Occupations websites that I have used in the past don't mention Trunk Makers.

I have found William & Emily on the 1891 census of Charlbury, enumerated as AYERS. They are living at Hexit Wood and William is shown as a 36 year old Chimney Sweep born Oxford, Oxon so I should think that the 1861 census record in St Clement Oxford that Graham found is a distinct possibility, especially as that William had a brother named Frank and your William named one of his sons Frank. Emma/Emily is shown as a 34 year old Pedlar born Liddiard, Wiltshire and living with them are children William aged 13 born Thame, James aged 11 born Brill, Bucks?, Horace aged 7 born Charlbury and Henry aged 2 born Charlbury. Not sure what happened to son Frank - perhaps he died but he is not buried in Charlbury.

Janet

andmar

Yes this is a possible but I would feel happier if he had been a hawker.

Andy.

andmar

But having said that they did change their title pretty regular.

Lizzy9

Here's probable death's from the GRO index for Cornelious and Caroline.

Cornelius Loveridge, age 85, Oct- Dec 1932, Banbury, vol 3a page 1337
    Caroline Loveridge, age 88, Apr-Jun 1832, Banbury, vol 3a page 1315.

Jan, welcome back to Loveridge searching, have you been missing them? This family doesn't seem as elusive as the other Loveridge's does it?

Lizzy9

1851, Olney, Buck's. HO107/1723/639/22 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)
    Thomas Loveridge 49, Basket Maker, birth place unknown
    Winifred Loveridge 48, Woolaston, Northant's
    Ezihiah Loveridge 16, Basket Maker, Stoke Bruerne, Northant's
    Lewis Loveridge 17, Basket Maker, Ashton, Northant's
    Ahser Loveridge 10, Stoke Bruerne, Northant's
    Alfred Loveridge 8, ? Northant's
    Cornelious Loveridge 5, Towcester
    Wineford Loveridge 10, Little Houghton, Northant's
    Emmaly Loveridge 4, Southam, Warks

Lizzy9

A Thomas Loveridge married Winifred Smith, 12/11/1818, Olney, Buck's.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast