ShirleySS

Default Evacuees from Wanstead to Leeds

Hello
    I have just been to the Golden Wedding celebrations of a family friend. She and her family have been close friends since her and her sister were evacuted from Wanstead in London and assigned to my Grandparents in Leeds. My Mum loved it as she gained two younger sisters and even went back with them to London for VE Day.
    My query is one that this lady posed last week. She has no idea who their travelling companions were and would like to hear of other evcuees to Leeds and their experiences. The two sisters had their Mum with them, also staying with my Gran and my Mum took them to school but can remember no other evacuees at the same school in Halton, Leeds. I believe it was about 1942/43 and was the 2nd time she was evacuated. Her sister was born during the first evacuation, possibly to Bracknell earlier in the war.
    Any stories would be read with interest and hopefully a few memories will be shared.
    Many thanks
    ShirleySS

Reputation beyond repute

evacuted from Wanstead in London
    I think you'll find that Wanstead was then in Essex. Fairly important when it comes to searching for records.

The London Metropolitan Archives has an informative leaflet if you're new to the subject but bear in mind that this is talking about London not Essex. I'm afraid I know nothing about how Essex organised its schooling. Probably you should start with Essex Record Office.