Thread: Censuses

robsnicta

Default Censuses

Who completed the census returns in 1911 and before was it an enumerator or a household member?

Jan1954

Hi there,

Have a read of these pages.

robsnicta

So it is entirely possible that the enumerator could get a name wrong when transcribing a schedule then? The reason I ask is that in the 1901 census my great grandmothers name is down as Emily, however on my grand fathers and his siblings birth certificate she is recorded as Emma. Also I have found a birth certificate with the correct name of Emma.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by robsnicta
    So it is entirely possible that the enumerator could get a name wrong when transcribing a schedule then?
    It is possible, either because of difficulty in reading a schedule or human error. In other cases a family may have recorded the name by which someone was known rather than the name with which they were actually registered at birth. There are many reasons why names and spelling vary.

Jeuel

Of course its possible. The name may have been misheard, misspelt or just copied incorrectly from bad handwriting. Some census pages look as though a drunken spider has danced on them! There are errors on censuses, on bmd certificates, in parish registers and even on gravestones. To err is human!

I think there are very few of my ancestors or my husband's whose names haven't been written incorrectly at some time.
    Examples: Jennet recorded as Gennet or Jennett or Janet
    Emmets as Emits, Emmels, Emetts
    Even Matthews as Maththews!

It's only comparatively recently we've settled on "correct" spellings for names. My husband's gt gt grandfather has 3 different versions of his name, on his birth, marriage and death certs!

whistler

This also is sometimes due to Accents as a lot of people could not read or write the Enumerator would fill in the form and would write down the spoken name as he heard it, not being able to read or write family members would not know the name was written differently. I have a Bedlington MATTHEWS variously written as Bed/Bodlington & MATHIUS/MATHEWS/MATTHEWS/MATHIAS.