Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wayfarer

Default Military service 1914 - 1926

I am trying to find some record or information about my Uncle who served in the army from 1914 - 1926. I have these dates from his service record as a civil policeman but I haven't yet found out how to trace his military details. His name was Albert Matthew Roe b 1899 in Newington, London and died 7/3/1962. He appears on the 1911 census while living at 7 Aster Place, Southwark. When I knew him he lived in Harrow and after leaving the police he ran a taxi/hire car business.

Reputation beyond repute

I haven't yet found out how to trace his military details.
    In that case you'd better bookmark this National Archives signpost page

If you follow the links you'll get to Veterans UK which has the details on applying for service records

Retlaw

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
    I am trying to find some record or information about my Uncle who served in the army from 1914 - 1926. I have these dates from his service record as a civil policeman but I haven't yet found out how to trace his military details. His name was Albert Matthew Roe b 1899 in Newington, London and died 7/3/1962. He appears on the 1911 census while living at 7 Aster Place, Southwark. When I knew him he lived in Harrow and after leaving the police he ran a taxi/hire car business.
    Albert M, Roe 13549 Worc Regt awarded BWM & VM. no surviving military records.
    Retlaw.

jac65

Albert M, Roe 13549 Worc Regt awarded BWM & VM. no surviving military records.
    Retlaw
    If he was still in the army in 1926 wouldn't his service records still be with the MOD?

Andy

Reputation beyond repute

no surviving military records.
    Can you explain please?

wayfarer

Veterans UK seems to go on from page to page without ever seeming to end up any where? Or am I just impatient! Retlaw was bang on with my Uncle Albert's info. I seemed to have no trouble finding out about my Uncle Ted (George Edward who was in the Marines). Methinks I need to backtrack. Thanks to all you guys anyway.

If you follow the links you'll get to Veterans UK which has the details on applying for service records[/QUOTE]

wayfarer

Retlaw, do you fancy a go at this? I have been trying all over with no luck. I guess I'm lucky enough that someone on here found this info for me.
    Person: ROE, John James : Gunner 91 St Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery, 91ST HEAVY BATTERY ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY, ROORKEE, Probably posted here before WWI
    Born 1888 Hackney to Richard & Mary Roe of 7 Aster Place, Southwark
    Last edited by wayfarer; 06-10-2010 at 3:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Reputation beyond repute

Veterans UK seems to go on from page to page without ever seeming to end up any where
    It doesn't go on and on when I look at it. One click brings me to this page which has details of how to apply and links to the appropriate forms.

jac65

Hi wayferer

The link below has information regarding Army Service Records. The surviving WW1 Service records are on Ancestry.com as are the WW1 Medal Rolls but as Albert was in the army until 1926 his records, as Peter says, are still held by the MOD and the link he gave has details of how to apply for them and forms to complete. The details provided by Retlaw are from the WW1 Medal Rolls.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...?WT.lp=rg-3114

If your Uncle Ted was in the Marines then the link below has information about Service Records

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...?WT.lp=rg-3189

Andy

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by wayfarer
    Veterans UK seems to go on from page to page without ever seeming to end up any where? Or am I just impatient!
    Reading the above gives the impression that you may believe these records to be available online - They are not. I'll go through things so that it hopefully may help to familiarize you with the web-site and understand how to work through things if you need to apply again.

Begin on the linked page provided by Peter, which is here

Look towards the bottom of the page, to where it says

"To receive copies of Service records relating to a deceased Service person, click here"

Click on the link and you are taken to this page - read the whole page right down to the bottom where it moves onto "How to apply"

The last paragraph includes "download and complete the Application Part 1 Next of Kin consent form (see Related Pages) and the Application Part 2 form for the appropriate Service."

Scroll up to the box with 'related pages' and click on 'request form for service personnel details - next of kin form' (click on the link given and download the form)

On the above linked page you will then see another 'relate pages' box, click on the link 'request forms for service personnel - Army' (clck on the link given and download the form)

You then need to print off the forms you have downloaded, fill them in and send them off with your cheque.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast