Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    obdavies

Default Ships of the three tars?

Can anyone recognise and have any information on the ships of the three sailors in the picture?

The three are, William, John Thomas and David Davies, and are brothers of my Grandad Owen. The picture was taken in 1915. I think I can read HMS Victory on John Thomas' hat, but my eyesight isn't that good so I may be wrong.

Can anyone who may know Royal Navy ships of 1915 help me to identify the ships and what they may have been involved in in 1915?

Hope this picture appears!

Owen

The easiest way is to look up their naval records on the National Archives website, download them (it costs £3.50 per document) and then look on there to see what ships they were serving on during WWI. That's what I did for my grandfather's records have a look here
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...vy-service.asp
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

obdavies

Thanks for the advice Ladkyis, but I searched in the section 'ADM 188 Registers of Seamen's Services' and turned up zilch. It's not the easiest site to interpret.

Owen

Mutley

The middle fellow does look like it is HMS Victory.
    The one one the right, I think, begins with 'P'
    Cannot read the one on the left at all, sorry.

Wikipedia has a list of ships,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...E2%80%93Q%29#P
    They will be in there somewhere but there are loads!!

Maybe if you give us dates and places of births we could go hunt for the service records, it might be the only way to find out for sure.

obdavies

Mutley, the three are William Davies b. 1882, John Thomas Davies (Jonte) b.1893 and David Davies b.1898, all were born and lived in Middlesbrough. Thanks, I couldn't make head not tail of the 'national archives search', though I would like to purchase any records if they can be turned up. The picture was taken in 1915.

Owen

Mutley

Must off to bed now but will go on the hunt tomorrow, if I am not beaten to it.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by obdavies View Post
    Mutley, the three are William Davies b. 1882, John Thomas Davies (Jonte) b.1893 and David Davies b.1898, all were born and lived in Middlesbrough.
    Do you have birth certificates for them to confirm dates of birth? - or are the years inferred from census returns?

Did perhaps one of them join the RNVR - John Thomas DAVIES 18 Oct 1893 - or possibly see this RND search?

Maybe David was also RNVR - David John DAVIES bn 14 Jun 1898 or David DAVIES bn 22 July 1897 - also look at RND records for David

When you search do remember to try searching for 'davi*s' to allow for variants in the spelling, try searching for a birthplace 'middlesb*r*' to allow for the alternative spellings that occur - or just search for a birthplace 'yorkshire'.

Geoffers

Further to the above - this is the result of a search of the register of seamen's services for 'davi*s born Yorkshire'

obdavies

Thanks Geoffers, I've sent for John Thomas and David's, however I can't find William's (the only ship's name not decipherable). The dates of birth are calculated from census returns.

Owen

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

The third one looks like Pembroke as well.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast