Default SARAH SIMMONS-DAVID HART

I have been tracing the lines of Sarah Simmons and David Hart for several years and in particular the relationship that the couple had. The data I hold shows that Sarah was born in NSW the daughter of James Simmons and Agnes Thorley ( there are several detailed websites containing information on this line). Sarah and David were married in 1843 London ( the GRO Marriage Certificate shows that James Simmons and Henry Jacobs were witnesses). My interest is discovering what happened to David Hart. The records for 1861 census show Sarah back in the UK with 3 children John, James, Percy but recorded as a widow. However subsequent records including Berger 1871-80 show that David was still alive when his mother died in 1872.
    In addition the Todd Knowles collection record the marriage entry on 22 Sept 1889 of David John Hart and Leah Frances Swift and links this marriage to David Hart married to Sarah Simmons. David is recorded as a widow. The Rookwood Jewish Cemetry NSW has a photograph and inscription for Sarah but she died in 1890.
    The 1891 British Census shows David B Hart age 67 architect and surveyor born Strand with his wife Leah Frances age 34 b Kennington.
    The age and birth place for David matches that of his approx dob and where his father John had a shop at 319 Strand in that period.

Another website records David dying in 1920 age 99. Free BMD show no entry of David's death and also there is no record of Leah Frances Swift birth between 1850 - 1860 Kennington- her father in the Todd Knowles Collection is given as Henry Swift and the 1889 marriage of David and Leah was a Jewish one.

If any one can shed any light on these relationships I would appreciate it. David is one of the sons of John Hart and elizabeth Jacobs my 3 x great grandparents.
    Phillip

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    The 1891 British Census shows David B Hart age 67 architect and surveyor born Strand with his wife Leah Frances age 34 b Kennington ...

My interest is discovering what happened to David Hart.
    They're in Wandsworth in 1891, so this might be worth a look ...

1901 census (record held by TNA, Crown copyright)
    RG13/484 folio 158 page 29
    43 West Side, Wandsworth
    Bernard B Hart Head M 76 Builder born London Regent St
    Frances Hart Wife 52 born London Kensington [possible misreading of Kennington?]

Deaths
    Mar Qtr 1907
    HART David John age 82
    Wandsworth 1d 477

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Further to the above, I wondered why there wasn't a will listed in the Probate Calendar.

This page and this page might explain.

Default SARAH SIMMONS- DAVID JOHN HART

Thank you very much Kerry for your help. I will need to buy the marriage certificate of David and Leah to confirm that his father was John.
    It appears probable that David and Sarah were separated and that if David is in deed the husband of Sarah he called himself a widower for convenience as much as she called herself a widow in 1861.
    James Simmons the father of Sarah was convicted of theft in 1813 and originally sentenced to death but this was commuted to transportation. His father Nathan Simons ( Simons is the spelling in the Old Bailey trial) received 14 years transportation and his wife Sarah was found not guilty. James became a very wealthy businessman in NSW and a prominent member of the Jewish community. By the time of her death Sarah his daughter was a very wealthy business woman with significant property in Sydney NSW.
    Interestingly the original record of the trial sentences shows that Nathan Simons was recorded as an 'old receiver' and his wife Sarah had been 'in Newgate before'- see England and Wales Criminal Registers 1791-1892
    Phillip

Default DAVID JOHN HART-LEAH FRANCES SWIFT MARRIAGE

Having now obtained a copy of the GRO Marriage Certificate for David John Hart and Leah Frances Swift it is becoming clearer that David John Hart is the son of John Hart and Elizabeth Jacobs my 3x great grandparents. It is also clear that he used an alias of Bernard Hart probably because he was a discharged bankrupt. The marriage certificate also indicates that he was still married to Sarah Hart nee Simmons and that they never divorced.
    Marriage- Sunday 22 Sept 1889 Brighton Synagogue, Brighton Sussex
    David John Hart 61 widower Contractor 10 Sunnyside Waldegrave Road Teddington- father JOHN HART Military tailor
    Leah Frances Swift 36 spinster - no occupation -same address as groom-father HENRY SWIFT Gentleman
    Married according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Jewish Religion
    Witnesses: HENRY JONES; WOOLF SONNENFELD

The issue with the marriage is that Sarah Hart nee Simmons was still alive and living in Sydney NSW. The census returns for 1841; 1891;1901 plus the death of David John Hart in 1907 suggest an approximate dob of 1824/25.
    The London Gazette January 1891 carried details of the Application for Debtor's Discharge for David John Hart 10 Sunnyside Waldegrave Road Teddington and Church Road Teddington Builder- Jan 9 1891 County Court Kingston Surrey
    The London Electoral Rolls 1907 show Leah Frances HART 43 West Side Wandsworth Common but David was not listed since he had died- Death Index David John Hart March qtr 1907 Wandsworth 1d 477
    I have ordered a copy of his death certificate and will post details.
    The various records posted on David John Hart and Sarah Simmons have suggested that their marriage was in difficulty at least by 1861 when Sarah appears to have had an illegitimate son called Percy ( see thread on Percy Hart possibly Percy Underwood). The travels to the UK by James and John Hart the two sons of David do not indicate that they met up and there is no clarity as to why David called himself a widower given his wife Sarah did not die until 1890. I can find no data on Leah Frances Swift beyond her marriage and census records nor do I currently know if she re- married.
    Phillip

The GRO Death Certificate for DAVID JOHN HART- Registration District Wandsworth County of London
    14 February 1907 43 Westside -David John Hart male 82 years Formerly a Builder ( Master) Cause of death Sensile Decay;Acute Bronchitis 2 days- Signature and description and residence of Informant -L F HART widow of deceased present at the death 43 West Side Wandsworth Common.
    Interestingly, two brothers of David namely Benjamin Hart and Henry Chapman Hart had been involved at various stages and dates in businesses involving houses such as house agent; surveyor and landlord. I have speculated that the three brothers were likely to have been in partnership not necessarily in a formal capacity. All three brothers started off as tailors in London as was their father John Hart.

Phillip