Yulong

Default John Donnoghoo of the 75th Regiment

Looking for any Family information on Private John Donnoghoo, born in Cork, Ireland. He joined the 75th regiment in 1825 and was medically discharged in 1846, he was a military pensioner and volunteered to be a convict guard on the Lady Kennaway, arriving in Tasmania in 1851, he may have changed the spelling of the name to Donahoe.

Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Hi Yulong
    I am also hunting for people of the same (-ish) name in south Ireland.

Private Malachi Donoghoe was in the 23rd Regiment in Carlisle Castle in 1841, aged 35-39. The National Archives WO97/427/95 says he was born Clonlea Co Clare and served 1820-1843. He married for the second time in Liverpool in 1844, calling himself Donahoo, and said his father was John Donohue, a teacher. In 1851 he said he was Malachi Donoghue, 46, a book keeper born Ireland (thus born about 1805). His second wife and their son (called James Donohue) are buried in Liverpool RC cemetery at Ford, Litherland, plot RF293.

In the adjacent grave, plot RF294, are my gg gf and gm, William and Catherine Donahoe. Although I feel it would be an amazing coincidence if William Donahoe/Donohoe and Malachi Donoghoe/Donahoo/Donohue/Donoghue were NOT related, I cannot find any connection.

William's children used the spelling Donohoe in later years. William was said to be 57 in 1861 and was buried in 1870 aged 73. So he was born about 1797-1804. William is said in family lore to have been from Wexford, and his probable marriage to Catherine was at Blackwater Co Wexford, near Enniscorthy, in 1825. His children almost always said they were born Wexford, although there is one vote for Waterford.

Just reading this back, it probably isn't any help to you, but it at least shows the variety of spellings that were in use!

Barbara

spison

Hi Yulong,
    Just in case you weren't aware, you can search many of the War Office Records that Barbara refers to on the AJCP (Australian Joint Copying Project) which is held at the NLA and I think the State Libraries too. You can order these reels to be borrowed on inter-library loan although you seem to have a lot of info already. I too have Donoghoes/Donohoes - but only a third wife so not direct. This is one spelling I haven't checked! Arrrr!
    Jane