Titanicfan

Default Blitz 70th Anniversary

Hi all

As today is the 70th Anniversary of the first day of the Blitz I thought you might all like to see the first day's bomb attacks for 7th September 1940 listed in meticulous detail (including streets and houses) taken from London Fire Brigade records. This is the first time they have been shown online. There are lists and maps.

www.
    guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/sep/06/london-blitz-bomb-map-september-7-1940

Hope it's ok to post the link.

Titanicfan
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 07-09-2010 at 2:48 PM. Reason: link to commercial site

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thanks for that link................I have just had a call from my 81 year old uncle who was telling me where he and my mother were on this day................and I remember so many of the places that were bombed as a child I played on the bomb sites as children we didnt realise what awful reminders they were to people ...........this list brings it home this was only one night of many

sandie

v.wells

Watched a segment on this mornings' news, so thanks for the link Titanicfan My parents watched the Blitz from atop a hill but they only shared a few stories that I remember. I do have some rellies that were bombed out of their homes so it will be interesting to see if one of the addresses is on the maps. Thanks

Titanicfan

I watched a programme on Yesterday channel last night about the first night of the Blitz and I felt very sad. I can't imagine how frightening it must have been - I know I would have been terrified every day. I always ask my mum about her memories of the war and air raids (although she was only a child at the time).

lizone

Titanic Fan - I've found your post rather belatedly. Recently we found a very close member of the family was in (or actually under) their house when it was destroyed in North London early in the Blitz around 09/10 September 1940. It only came out in a conversation some 69 years after it happened - possibly showing what effect it had. In this case, the house and the majority of posessions were destroyed or missing, but amazingly the family survived. Many thanks for the link - most interesting.