Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    ajbeacham

Hi! I just joined the forum and was thrilled to see the above interest in HMS Caeser. My 3rd Great Grandfather was William Henry Beacham, who was drowned after falling from the mast. I was lucky enough to see the description of the accident in The Times Newspaper (an embedded reporter)? , probably part of the clippings covering the Baltic Campaign that JW0149 mentioned above! An excellent Forum might I add, if only I had found it earlier!

Andrew.

offcumdun

Having also just discovered and joined this forum, may I also avail myself of your good offer in researching coastguards in the Crimea. I have the good luck to have a photograph (copy) of one of my wife's ancestors who was a coastguard, and has medals pictured. The local press's editor kept a scrap book and his photo and description says he was at the Alma, Azoff and Sebastopol. The scrapbooks are kept in the local library. He was John Liscombe who was born in 1817. He was in Tynemouth in 1851. Do you want a copy of the Photo?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi offcumdun.

I'm afraid, as with many local press reports, your wifes ancestors service in the Crimea has been exaggerated. He did serve with the Baltic Fleet on HMS Exmouth and HMS Monarch, for which he was awarded the Baltic Medal, but never in the Black Sea in the Crimea. However, he had previously served on HMS Thunderer and had been awarded the Naval Service Medal with the 'Syria 1840' clasp.

In addition to being able to trace his Coastguard Service using the ADM 175 records, the National Archives does hold his service/pension record in ADM 29/78/100, which is also now avilable on Ancestry.

I would love a copy of the photograph and will email you with my private email address.

Regards Martin

offcumdun

Thank you, and I have replied by email.

Keith

Starting to feel at home

hi ,my great great grandad joind the royal navy as a reserve in 1854 ,he was from deal in kent ,after being at sea he married mary verling in cobh cork and took up the post of coastguard ,serving till he died in 1898 ,he was chief coastguard in waterford ,tramone,gungarvan and helvic head ,his name was stephen pilcher born in deal kent on the 21/12/1836 ,his son also stephen pilcher born in cobh cork did the same ,i hope he s on your list ,thanks cathie

Starting to feel at home

dungarvan lol

MikeCarden

Default Coastguards

Hello. I see that you have very kindly offered to look up coastguard ancestors to see if they served in the Navy during the Crimean War. I have two ancestors, John Thomas Aldrich and his son Robert Frost Aldrich. The father was Chief Officer of the Coastguard in Parkston, Dorset, while Robert was Chief Office in Margate.
    If you can help at all, that would be wonderful. Thank you!

Mike

I'm afraid neither man served in the Royal Navy during the Crimean War.

Martin

hurrell8510

Hello Martin,

2 days ago I started researching my family tree, adding to what had already been one. I hit a block at John Hurrell who served in the coastguard. His wife Emily (Blowers) was residing in Brightlingsea, Essex at the time of his death in 1854.

It is purely speculation on my part, that he died in the Crimean War, due to the given date, and they had just got married and started a family (sons in 1852 and 1853)

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Coastguards/H-I.html - this is the most I can find out from websites on my own, he is simply listed as "Hurrell" with bizarrely no forename.

If you have any information on the man that would be awesome, the more the better. I guess the most important information to me would be if he died in duty and his year of birth.

Many thanks

Adam

Adam

There are two men named Hurrell on my database, Richard and William, but no John I’m afraid. I have also looked at the medal roll and again could not find a likely candidate.

I’ve checked the CG Establishment Books and was unable to find a John Hurrell working in or around Essex in 1851, so my guess is that he was probably serving on a Revenue Cruiser. You now have a problem, because these men only appear on the Muster Books in the ADM 119 series of records held at the National Archives, so unless he held a substantive rank – Boatswain, Gunner etc. it is a case of looking through these Muster Books to try and find him. Your next problem is the Navy List for 1851 has a list of Revenue Cruisers and their commanding officers, but not where they were stationed, making it very difficult to quickly check if my theory is correct.

On a more positive note you could try searching the Merchant Seamen’s Tickets on the pay to view site Find my Past. Although they are indexed as Merchant Seamen many men then serving in the Navy and Coastguard service were issued with Tickets.

Martin

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast