Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Di

I have PM'd you, but in the meantime have also checked the medal roll where there is a Thos Carter, Ships No. 309, Quarter Master serving on HMS Amphion, who was awarded the Baltic Medal that was sent to the Sunderland Coastguard District on 6 May 1857. If you say he was on Amphion during 1854-56 then I would lay money this is your man. Out of interest these medals were issued unnamed.

The Quarter Master was a senior rating, being responsible for steering the ship with the ship's wheel, taking orders from the Sailing Master, or Officers, directly.

Martin

suebolam-1

Hi there, I have an ancestor Charles Greer who was a coastguard who lived in Portsmouth, was wondering if you could identify him from your database. Would really appreciate any help you can offer. Many thanks. Sue

Sue

I do have a Charles Greer on my database, this man was born Dunfanaghy, 21 August 1825. During the Crimean war he served on HMS Cressy, with his Baltic Medal being sent to Leith CG Station on 21 April 1857.

You mention that he was living in Portsmouth, but do not provide a year. To check if this is your man you could trace his service using the ADM 175 records that are available as free downloads from the National Archives. PM me if you have a problem.

Martin

Sue

You might also care to visit the Coastguards of Yesteryear website, where there have been a number of posts relating to Charles Greer. I have put a link below, but also enter 'Greer' into the site search for further threads.

https://www.coastguardsofyesteryear.o...1863#post_1863

Martin

allandblair1951

Hi Martin

I wonder if you have any information regarding William Henry Beecham

He was born in Bath in 1816, and married Jane Bryant on the 6th November 1943 in Manaccan, Cornwall.

I believe he served on HMS Caesar and died in 1855

Any information you have would be greatfuly appreciated

allandblair1951

I do have William Beacham on the data-base so can provide you with the following information.

Originally nominated to the Coastguard Service from HMS Blonde on the 30 June 1843, with a first posting to Porthillic CG Station (ADM 175/7 pdf 498). On the 30 Sept 1852 he was transferred to Tower 40 (ADM 175/7 pdf 198) from where he was discharged dead on 6 June 1855, having drowned while serving with the Fleet.

HMS Blonde took part in the First China War, and for this William was awarded the 1st China War Medal, which was sent to Porthillic CGS on 22 Oct 1846. Knowing he served on HMS Blonde (Ships No.161) you could consult her Description Book at the National Archives (ADM 38/7656) to find out about his previous service.

While working at Porthillic he was issued with a Merchant Seamen's Ticket on 5 June 1845 (No.97,662). On this he gave his date of birth as 13 April 1818, Bath Somerset (he gave Walcot as his place of birth when he joined HMS Caesar), 5' 6.5'' tall, Dk auburn hair, fresh complexion, hazel eyes, 'WB 1831' tattooed on right arm, served 3 years 4 months in the Royal Navy. You can view this document on FMP, but it is currently incorrectly indexed as WH Bouchan!

Hope this helps.
    Martin

JW0149

I have a John McBrearty serving aboard HMS Caesar about 1854
    Do you have any info on him please?
    regards

Hi

There is a slight problem in that there could have been two John McBreartys' serving on HMS Caesar one with the ship's number 261 and the other with the number 1, or it may be the same man. A check of Caesar's Ships Description Book at the National Archives should clarify this.

Of the man whose medal was sent to Penzance CG District in 1857 (No.261), again there is a little ambiguity. According to my research this man was born in Donegal around 1830. There was a John McBrearty who was nominated to the CG Service on 13 March 1858 from the Revenue Cruiser Sylvia, with a first posting to Pendeen Cove in the Penzance CG District. However, in 1857 Sylvia was known to be stationed in Penzance, so it is my guess that his medal was sent to him care of the Penzance CG.

It now gets even more confusing, because on 21 January 1861 he was transferred to Malinmore CG Station in Ireland, but while searching the Coastguard records I found a further two men with the same name, so we now have three John McB all working in the CG Service around the same time!

Getting onto firmer ground, the later CG records do provide the place and date of birth for the John who worked in Cornwall as Killybegs, Donegal 8 June 1829.

Hope this has been of some help.

Martin

JW0149

There are two John McBrearty's from Killibegs Co Donegal that I know of, born 1830 and father 1811(ish).
    I knew in general about Pendeen c1858, obviously a day or two at Kew is mandatory now
    John McBrearty wrote a diary whilst onboard HMS Caesar in the Baltic 1854, some 40 pages of A4 in transcription.
    I am making a transcription of the captains log for HMS Caesar in its building and botched launching (NMM Greenwich), I have the newspaper clippings of Caesar's Baltic journey, and just need the captain's logs to have all the material for a decent story.
    Family oral tradition has him coming to a sticky end at the hands of smugglers after the posting to Ireland 1861.
    Thank you for all your help.

I hate to spoil a good story, but John McB (1829) made the following moves:

30 March 1861 to Killibegs
    1 Aug 1863 to Mullaghmore
    7 Nov 1865 to Rachley following his promotion to Commissioned Boatman
    31 Jan 1868 to Poole, Dorset
    31 Aug 1868 to 'Duke of Wellington for disposal to a sea going ship as per Admiralty Order.'

Martin

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast