Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Default Sth York, Toronto Newspapers.

I've spent a long time going over Mary Annes 'sticky' info. but not found what I need.

Can anyone suggest a newspaper online which has BMDs or any 'personals' from 1890 - 1930ish for the Sth York, Toronto district please? I have found Family members there in 1901/1911.most recent child a son b. 1901.

I've tried 'Newspaper Archive' today which kept taking me to Winnipeg.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Hi Wendy,
    Who are you looking for? Do you have a thread elsewhere on the forum for background? There are pay websites such as "Pages of the Past" which has the Toronto Star digitized archives.

Adele - I have just found a tree on Ancestry which seems to cover the Family 'Goddard'. I hadn't found it earlier as I didn't expect to get anywhere. I haven't increased my sub. yet as it's not due. However, I still don't know where Emily Minnie died poss. in 1946. She was born in Chester UK & went to Canada with an Aunt after 1881.
    She married in Toronto in 1891 22 June. There were more children than I found on 1911/1901. Didn't all survive. Have had some small info from another tree owner.

Pages of the Past,..does it go on to more recent times?
    Last edited by Waitabit; 02-09-2010 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo
    Happy Families
    Wendy

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Pages of the Past,..does it go on to more recent times?
    Yes, they have digitized the newspaper up to 2007.

Thanks Adele, that sounds the way to go.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

thecouch

Hi Wendy,

The local library in my community has a subscription to the Toronto Star archives. If you send me a PM with the relevant information, I can take a look for you to see if anything comes up - before you have to buy access yourself.

Cheers,
    thecouch

Good morning Couch, what a lovely start to the day. I've had a starter free look at their paper 1945 I think but hadn't gotten around to the real thing yet. Thanks for that!
    Happy Families
    Wendy

markmccormack

A couple of ideas:

1) Although the database is not perfect, the Ontario Cemetery finding Aid gives the location of 2 pages of "Minnie" burials, perhaps they will give a lead on specific locations;

2) There are many on-line newspapers (many that are still decent enough not to charge for services), if you find that your Emily is outside Orontonto , I can help with other leads;

3) If you find something in Toronto of interest, PM me - I will go grab you a good copy and scan it in for you; and,

4) The University of Guelph (even closer - take a look at https://trellis3.tug-libraries.on.ca/ for their holdings) and the Waterloo Public Library have many excellent sources... again.. just ask, I can help... 20 minutes to Waterloo, I live in Guelph

Thank you Mark, I had to leave my search midway for a time due to other commitments.
    Sue kindly gave me some clues re burial areas near Craighurst, Barrie & Orillia. That's where I had to leave things.
    As you see 'thecouch' also offered assist. May I get back to you after I've had another search?
    Happy Families
    Wendy

markmccormack

Indeed! Any time. Good luck on the hunt!!

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast