Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WK1937

Default Military death WW2

Would some kind person let me know where I can obtain a death certificate for someone who was in the forces during WW2. The death occurred in 1943 in N. Ireland but I have not got an index. A....only give you the England and Wales records.

With many thanks, WK1937

Geoffers

There are separate indices to service deaths (different sets for RN, Army, RAF and also officers/other ranks), these are available on at least some pay-per-view sites and also on fiches at county record offices/local studies libraries.

When you locate an entry in the index, you can order a copy of a certificate online via the GRO

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Geoffers, (slightly off-topic but possibly connected)
    If someone was in the military but didn't die as a result of war action (e.g. if they died in hospital after a road traffic accident) would they still appear in the service deaths, or would they be in the ordinary BMDs for the relevant country?
    Pam

WK1937

Thank you Geoffers & Pam. I did realise that I would have to find an index for the event but it is knowing which site to go to. There is nothing on fmp. Is there a special one for N. Ireland? I realise one cannot be published here. If I went direct to the Irish GRO do you think they could help me?

Many thanks.

Reputation beyond repute

1 Is this definitely a military death - in other words is it listed on the Commonwealth War Graves site?

2 If so, my understanding is that with effect from 1879, the Irish and Scottish GROs kept their own military registers relating to events involving Irish or Scottish people. After Irish independence, read "Northern Ireland".

3 If the man in question was English and in an English regiment, you should be able to find him in the GRO military indexes available on FMP and other places.

4. I'm not very familiar with GRONI or GROS procedures but so far as Southport is concerned, you do not need a GRO reference to order a certificate. It's just quicker if you do have it.

WK1937

Hello Peter, I welcomed your advice. Yes, indeed it is definitely a military death (RAF) in fact. I have the details from the CWGC.
    A plane went down in Northern Ireland resulting in the death I am interested in. I understood that deaths had to be registered in the place where it happened and that is why I believed I would have to apply to GRONI. I didn't think that GRO over here would have the registration. I have credits on fmp but could not find the registration - GR did not throw up anything either.
    The chappie was English and he has a grave in England.

Do you think then that GRO would be able to furnish me with a certificate even though he died in NI?

Many thanks, Maureen.

Reputation beyond repute

I have credits on fmp but could not find the registration
    Did you search the index called "GRO War Deaths RAF All Ranks 1939-1948"? If he's not there, I suppose there's not much point contacting Southport.

WK1937

What a kind offer - I have looked on fmp & gr with no luck so here goes:-

P/O S M Shute - date of death 9.3.1943 - N.Ireland.
    Service no - 106242. RAFVR.

Thank you in anticipation.

WK1937

Hi Peter, yes I did, in fact I have just looked again, but unfortunately he is not on the list.
    If nothing comes of the kind offer just now, perhaps I should contact GRONI, What you do you think? I value your opinion.

Thank you.

Reputation beyond repute

If nothing comes of the kind offer just now, perhaps I should contact GRONI

I suppose so. You may have to apply by post. It may be that you want the certificate for personal reasons but if you want information, war time death certificates tend not to be very informative.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast