Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Geoffers

Default Witney Local Studies Library

Witney library has a small local studies section. This contains transcripts of parish registers, original census on fiches, local interest books for Witney and surrounding area.

I go to Witney most weeks and if anyone needs any information checked against these sources, please feel free to ask.

Note though that requests need to be for specific people - a name, a rough year of birth/marriage/death, a parish is enough.

I'm not going to look up all entries for a common surname (Someone once asked me for everything I had on the surname Wright in Norfolk - others may be willing to respond to fishing trips, but not me).

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

sally

Well hello again Geoffers, long time no contact, well about 5 minutes .

Seeing your kind offer, any chance of a baptism at Eynsham? Hugh Kearsey told me some years ago that there was a baptism for Lewis' brother in 1852 but only gave me the place & year.

Henry Horatio NELSON, born Mar qtr 1852. I know his parents were William & Eliza nee BUSHNELL but I don't know the date or whether William was still a gamekeeper at Eynsham Hall & still living at South Lodge.

Sally

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by sally
    Seeing your kind offer, any chance of a baptism at Eynsham? Hugh Kearsey told me some years ago that there was a baptism for Lewis' brother in 1852 but only gave me the place & year.

Henry Horatio NELSON, born Mar qtr 1852. I know his parents were William & Eliza nee BUSHNELL but I don't know the date or whether William was still a gamekeeper at Eynsham Hall & still living at South Lodge
    Okedoke, your request is in my notebook, itwill probably be Tuesday when I go in next. I'll let you know what I find and where I've looked.

Geoffers
    (I'll also bear your Bushnell family in mind)

Wendy Archer

Sally -

I'm sure Hugh would have told you the details if you'd asked him !

Eynsham is on OXF-WIT01, and to save Geoff the lookup, courtesy of OFHS:

3 May 1852 Henry Horatius NELSON, s. William & Eliza, gamekeeper, born Mar 10, ptely admitted Jul 14

Wendy
    Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2007 at 6:31 PM.

susan-w

Wendy
    I’ve looked at the OFHS CDs before, and have been surprised at how expensive the parish register transcriptions are - £17.50. As a result, I haven’t bought any, and turned to another branch of the family to research, until I can one day visit the area.

Has the society ever looked at lowering the price of the CDs? (Maybe the increased sales would offset the lower cost.) Or selling individual parishes at a cheaper price?

Cheers
    Sue

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Archer
    3 May 1852 Henry Horatius NELSON, s. William & Eliza, gamekeeper, born Mar 10, ptely admitted Jul 14
    Thanks Wendy, I was just about to stroll down to the bus, you saved me a journey

Geoffers

Wendy Archer

Quote Originally Posted by susan-w
    Wendy
    I’ve looked at the OFHS CDs before, and have been surprised at how expensive the parish register transcriptions are - £17.50. As a result, I haven’t bought any, and turned to another branch of the family to research, until I can one day visit the area.

Has the society ever looked at lowering the price of the CDs? (Maybe the increased sales would offset the lower cost.) Or selling individual parishes at a cheaper price?
    Sue -

"Expensive" comes down to how much they're worth to you, I guess.

OXF-WIT01 has:

COGGES Baptisms 1653 to 1973, Marriages 1655 to 1973, Burials 1654 to 1973
    CURBRIDGE Baptisms 1847 to 1991, Burials 1847 to 1992
    EYNSHAM Baptisms 1653 to 1900, Marriages 1653 to 1900, Burials 1653 to 1900
    HAILEY Baptisms 1761 to 1954, Burials 1797 to 1932
    WITNEY Holy Trinity Baptisms 1849 to 1971, Burials 1849 to 1973
    WITNEY St. Mary Baptisms 1551 to 1940, Marriages 1583 to 1931, Burials 1583 to 1872
    WITNEY Cemetery Burials 1857 to 1907
    WITNEY Congregational Baptisms 1806 to 1921, Burials 1810 to 1907
    WITNEY Ind. & Baptist Births 1799 to 1835, Baptisms 1804 to 1836, Burials 1828 & 1831
    WITNEY Prim. Methodist Baptisms 1843 to 1873
    WITNEY Quaker Births 1667 to 1836, Marriages 1681 to 1832, Burials 1659 to 1837
    WITNEY Wesleyan Baptisms 1803 to 1951

and, very importantly to you, indexes of all those events. I think you're getting transcriber-time at pence, or fractions thereof, per hour, unlike what I'm paying the builder outside my window at the moment. ;-)

Less flippantly, we've priced the CDs at much less per parish than we sell them on fiche - and those prices haven't changed in over ten years!

You could buy Eynsham alone on fiche, and use your local studies library to read it if you haven't a fiche reader.

Conscious though that researchers want to buy a *relevant* CD, we also have Search Services whereby baptisms, marriages, burials, etc. can be searched on a one-off basis.

Wendy
    Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2007 at 6:33 PM.

sally

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Archer
    Sally I'm sure Hugh would have told you the details if you'd asked him !
    Wendy
    Hi Wendy

Thank you very much for Henry's details & for saving Geoffers a trip.
    I would have asked Hugh but at the time I was new to research & he was kindly helping me with sorting out if this was my family, (dad came from Norfolk so I wasn't sure) so didn't have the cheek to ask him for further details.
    I did at a later date pay for a baptism search for NELSON from OFHS but it was early days of the transcribing & Eynsham & other places I was looking for had not been done at that time.
    Thanks to members on the forum I now have details of all 3 children baptised in Oxfordshire, unless there were any that came into this world & left shortly afterwards that I know nothing about.

Regards
    Sally

susan-w

Hi Wendy
    Yes, it’s true that genealogists come a lot cheaper than builders

If your ancestors stay put, then it could be considered a bargain. Sadly, mine weren’t that considerate, so I’d need a few CDs to have them covered!

I hadn’t seen that fiche option – thank you for pointing it out. That might be what I need, as I could easily pop along to a library to get a reader. Also, the search option. Maybe I’ll start on that side of the family again...

Thanks
    Sue

Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

Geoffers, do you still go to Witney on occasion? I realize this thread is older, but it never hurts to ask.

I was told by the Oxfordshire Record Office that they have a copy of the apprentice indenture for William Early b. 1816 to John Snell, Caprenter for the year 1831. Due the fact that he would have been 15 years old at the time of this apprenticeship, I'm hoping that the document provides the signature or has a record of one or both of his parents, as well as any specifics regarding the apprenticeship itself. I have the reference number Reference B1/1/PL/6. I remember you saying you don't email, but I would give my left pinkie for a copy of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast