lindyloo46

Default Spanish Civil war

Can anyone point me inthe right direction to gain info on an Aunt who would have been in Spain around this time 1930s and vanished without trace.
    Her name was Elizabeth Heather, she was raised in a Convent in Dublin and so the family stories go she was then Governess to a French family a banker i think, she accompanied them to France and when the children were of an age that she was no longer needed she went to Santander in Spain to teach English privately. I got the impression from my mother her niece that this was at a school. My mother remembers recieving parcels and letters as a child from her Aunt and then all corresspondence stopped. My mother was born 1925 her mother margaret who was Elizabeths sister died in 1934. Elizabeth was born in 1881 to a William and Mary Heather. Where should I start with this one please?

Jeuel

Does your mother have an exact address? Not sure how you'd find out, but there might be directories for Santander for the period. During the Civil War Elizabeth might have returned home if she could, or moved to be away from the fighting - I don't know whether Santander was involved in this or not, my knowledge of the history of this isn't much use!
    When your grandmother Margaret died, was there a notice in the paper? Often details of funerals including mourners are recorded and Elizabeth might have been mentioned as sending a wreath or being overseas.

lindyloo46

thanks for yor help this Aunt was definately teaching in santander be it at a public school or privately, no address, she diddnt return home to Dublin as no one there heard from her eother, correspondence just stopped i think else those that know have taken their seret with them

Claire71uk

Did she Marry out there?

Have you checked arrivals manifests to and from Spain....if she arrived in Spain using maiden name, then married...it is quite possible there would be applications for passport changes or travel records...as well as usual marriage records.