Loves to help with queries

Default The Drill Hall, York Road, Southend 1939

I am trying to find out which Territorial Army Unit was based at the Drill Hall on York Road in Southend-on-Sea at the outbreak of war in 1939. I have tried to borrow a copy of "Always Ready: The Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces" by Mike Osborne (published in 2006) but it's not avaialble - even on an inter-library loan.

Does anyone know which unit was based there please? Or, alternatively, can anyone suggest another line of enquiry please?

Thanks,

Paul

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

This site Lists both Regular Troops in the Command and Territorial Army Troops in the Area. Add www. in front

patriotfiles.com/index.php?name=Sections&req=listarticles&secid=17

British Eastern Command on 3 September 1939

British Anti-Aircraft Command, TA on 3 September 1939

Keith

Thanks Keith - just what I wanted. Do you know if there is anything similar for 1938 please?

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Not sure how TA soldiers were shown in 1938, 3 September 1939 was the date they were embodied so my understanding is they were no longer part time soldier's but regular army.
    Had a look for the drill hall in York Road but could only find a reference to H company 6th Battalion Essex Regiment in 1910.
    I'm not sure when they moved to East Street, Prittlewell.

Thanks for trying Keith. I've found a trade/street directory for 1914 online that shows the York Road Drill Hall as being occupied by the Royal Garrison Artillery - but then there doesn't appear to be anything available online until your info for 1939. Guess I'll have to get my hands on a later directory - maybe a trip to Southend Library will be required.

Thanks again.

Paul