Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BARNETT CRAWCOUR- SURGEON DENTIST c1776-1834

For Crawcour distant relatives here is a brief summary of the children of Barnett Crawcour c1776-1834 surgeon dentist and one of the sons of Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 and Rebecca b? d 1821 ( probably Levy). Barnett was married twice - first to Fredcha bat Benjamin ( they married in 1807). The Monthly Magazine Feb 1813 Vol 35 records..Died at Norwich Mrs Cracour, wife of Mr C surgeon. The same magazine dated August 1 1813 has the entry Mr. Crawcour of Norwich to Miss Alexander of Chatham.
    The surname Crawcour was also recorded as Cracour in earlier synagogue records.
    Barnett Crawcour settled in Norwich circa 1809. An advertisement in the Norwich newspaper records that he was in red Lion Street Norwich in 1809. He remained in Norwich until his death age 58 in 1834 and is buried in the Guildencroft Norwich ( the Quaker Cemetery- there is a photograph of the cemetery taken in 1936 showing a range of tombstones). Barnett was responsible for establishing a small synagogue opened in 1828 Tombland Alley. There is a drawing taken in possibly 1960s showing the disused synagogue which measured 19 feet x 14 feet.
    On 23 Sept 1820 Barnett had his left leg amputated following a serious carriage accident in near Tombland. However this did not stop his travels around the country including visits to Glasgow in and Whitehaven.
    The child of Barnett and his first wife was Ann who married Reuben Alexander. The children of Barnett and Fanny were:
    Isaac Henry 1815-1911 m Jane ( Jessie) Mann
    Emma Esther 1817-1894
    Fanny 1819-1917
    Rebecca 1821-m Fredrick Ashenbach- they lived in Philadelphia USA
    Eliza 1823 m Samuel Barczinsky
    Martha 1825-1870
    Hannah 1827-1920 m Benjamin Simons
    Samuel Walter 1828 -? m Emily Barnes
    Sara 1830-1928 m Berhard Barczinsky
    Adelaide 1833-1833
    Eva 1833-1833

A range of data is held on all of the lines
    Phillip
    Martha 1825-1870
    Hannah 1827-1920 m Benjamin Simons

The following posts are an update on the original post I made several years ago. The new data includes newspaper and census records on Barnett Crawcour and his family following his death in Norwich 1834.This post should be read in conjunction with other posts I made on my Crawcour ancestors- Samuel (Zanvil) Crawcour 1748-1816 -16.11.2010; Crawcour Surgeon Dentists-England 13.01.2008; The Crawcour Family History-Synopsis 06.12.2007
    The following newspaper advertisement indicates that Barnett Crawcour was still residing in London but visiting Norwich in 1808.."Mr B Crawcour (from London), At Mr.Hewitt's Red Lion Lane Norwich.." 10 Dec 1808 Norwich Chronicle

In #1 I recorded Barnett Crawcour settling in Norwich in Red Lion Street as from 1809. The following advertisement indicates that he was based in Red Lion Street-"Mr B Crawcour, Surgeon Dentist and Cupper Red Lion Street.." 11 August 1810 Norfolk Chronicle.
    He was living at 11 Magdalen Street by 1820 and 14 Magdalen Street according to two newspaper advertisements.

In 1813 Barnett's first wife had died -see #1. The following newspaper records gives her age..." Monday last, aged 28 Mrs Crawcour, wife of Mr Crawcour,dentist, Magdalen Street-She was interred the same day according to the Jewish custom, their burial ground..." Saturday 10 April 1813 Norfolk Chronicle.
    The newspaper account is a snippet which may reveal the name of the burial ground likely to be Ber Street-Horns Lane. However, in 1813 Barnett Crawcour is named in later records as being responsible for acquiring the Jews'Burial ground which was leased from the Quakers Gildencroft Norwich- see my post on Norwich Jew's Burial Ground- Memorials.

I also posted in#1 that Barnett re-married in 1813 the same year as his first wife's death to Fanny Alexander.
    Barnett Crawcour died in 1834..." At his house Magdalen Street aged 58, Barnet Crawcour surgeon-dentist" Saturday 4 Oct 1834 Norfolk Chronicle
    Barnett is buried in the Gildencroft Jewish Cemetery - see Cemetery Scribes Blog and Records for details on Barnett and the Norwich Jews Cemetery.

By 1835 Barnett's houses were up for sale..." Magdalen Street Norwich, late the property of Mr Crawcour, Surgeon Dentist, deceased. One of the dwelling houses is in the occupation of Mrs Crawcour ( which is well adapted for the residence of a large family)and consists of two parlours, upper sittingroom, seven sleeping rooms.." Saturday 23 May 1835 Norfolk Chronicle.

Barnett's son Henry Surgeon Dentist was also advertising in 1834.." Begs gratefully to acknowledge the patronage with which his late Father has been honoured during the last 28 years.." 8 November 1834 Norwich Mercury.
    Henry with his mother and siblings was to move away from Norwich as I will post on.

Phillip

The following two Census records relate to Fanny Crawcour nee Alexander and her family:
    1841 Census (Copyright,TNA) HO107 461 4 5 16 25 2

May Place Northfleet Kent
    Fanny Crawcour 40 Schoolmistress b Not in county
    Emma 20
    Fanny 20
    Rebecca 25
    Elizabeth 15
    Martha 15
    Hannah 14
    Walter 12
    Sarah 10
    None born in county
    24 pupils listed + 4 servants

1851 (Copyright,TNA) HO107 1609 11 0 3
    5 May Place Northfleet Kent
    Fanny Crawcour H Widow 40? Governess b London
    Emma dau 27 Governess b Norwich Norfolk
    Fanny dau 25 Governess b Norwich Norfolk
    Rebecca dau 23 Housekeeper b Norwich Norfolk
    Eliza dau 21 Housekeeper b Norwich Norfolk
    Martha dau 19 Housekeeper b Norwich Norfolk
    Anna dau 17 Monitor b Norwich Norfolk
    Sara dau 16 Pupil b Norwich Norfolk
    41 pupils +5 servants

Phillip

Further Census records for Fanny Crawcour nee Alexander:
    1861 (Copyright,TNA) RG9 471 118 15
    13 Hutchinson Place Gravesend Kent
    Fanny Crawcour H Widow 67 Retired Schoolmistress b Middx London
    Emma dau u 39 Fundholder b Norwich Norfolk
    Fanny dau u 37 Fundholder b Norwich Norfolk
    Rebecca dau u 30 Fundholder b Norwich Norfolk
    Laura dau u 27 Fundholder b Norwich Norfolk
    +1 servant

By 1871 Fanny was living in Scotland-
    Scotland Census 1871
    (Copyright, Scottish NA)
    Fanny Crawcour 75 Annuitant Head b English
    407 St Vincent Street Glasgow ED 24 9 1
    345 Bath Street Glasgow
    Fanny Crawcour 85 Annuitant b England
    Emma Crawcour 59 Annuitant b England
    Frances Crawcour 46 Annuitant b England
    1 servant

Death- JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry
    Fanny Alexander Crawcour age 91 Buried 29 Nov 1885
    Glasgow Jewish Section Eastern Necropolis

Probate
    Fanny Alexander or Crawcour widow 354 Bath Crescent Glasgow died 29 Nov 1885 Glasgow to Miss Esther Emma Crawcour the daughter and Benjamin Simons fruit broker Glasgow executors

Phillip

Among the Crawcour documents I hold is a Monumental Inscription recorded 1 July 1937.I don't have a name for the source but there are transcriptions for 4 of my Crawcour relatives including Barnet Crawcour ( in his will he signs himself as Barnet with one "t").
    The Barnet Crawcour inscription reads:
    First a brief note regarding the Tombstone physical location and description- Norwich Old Jewish Burial Ground in the Guildencroft.
    H.S. with urn carved on top:
    Sacred to the memory of BARNET CRAWCOUR aged 58 years who (died ) Sep25th 1834)
    He was the first.... Jews Synagogue

I will post further data on Barnet taken from the Hyamson Anglo Jewish Collection.
    Phillip

In #1 of this thread I had posted that Barnet Crawcour was first married in 1807. This is incorrect. A copy of the Hyamson Collection on the Crawcour records entries from the Western Synagogue Marriage and Death records.
    I have already posted data on Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 the father of Barnet et al taken from the Hyamson Western Synagogue records but as a recap the record shows part in Hebrew and part English that Samuel died 21.11.1816 age 68.
    Some family records and publications give Samuel a much earlier dob but I take the Western Synagogue record to be accurate because of both the specific date of death and age at death. In addition, other Crawcour entries give the record entry number which indicates a specific entry in the record books.

The Marriage entry for Barnet Crawcour reads: Western Synagogue Marriages No. 41. Baruch b Shmuel ( Hebrew) married Miss Fradche bat Benyamin (Hebrew) 16 Elul 1806

Phillip

1821 was an eventful year for Barnet Crawcour. The Norfolk Chronicle 25 August 1821 gives an account of the Norwich City Assizes in which Barnet Crawcour was the plaintiff in the case Crawcour v Smith. The case concerned the recovery of the cost of a suit of clothes and other items bought by Barnet in consequence of having received a fictitious invitation card from Smith the defendant to dine at the Guild feat in 1820.
    The defendant who admitted sending the card was heard to remark that "he would rather undergo transportation than not see the plaintiff (a Jew dentist) at the door of the Guildhall in his pomps and opera hat." "Counsel for the defendant endeavoured to show that the order for the apparel was given subsequent to the plaintiff receiving notice of the fictitiousness of the card; and he argued that even if he had gone to the feast he could not have partaken of it without incurring the censure of the higher orders of his religion. Mr Sergeant Blossett, for the plaintiff replied that "of the 600 covers placed on the tables on Guild Day there were several of which Mr Crawcour might partake without injury either of his soul or his stomach." The jury found for the plaintiff-damages 1s".

On 23 Sept 1821 Barnet Crawcour had a major accident when the phaeton he was travelling in along Tombland Norwich collided with another carriage.He was thrown from the carriage and broke his leg so severely that it was amputated on site. See Norfolk Chronicle 29 Sept 1821. However, later newspaper reports indicate Barnet was in London in 1822 and returned to Norwich in Autumn 1822. He also advertised that he was able to resume his "professional duties" 17 Nov 1821 Norfolk Chronicle.
    I suspect that as the major or sole breadwinner with a large family he had no choice but to resume his business practice not least because of other dentists moving into Norwich as was to be the case.

Phillip

Barnet Crawcour was an itinerant surgeon dentist as were his father and siblings (his sister Catherine aka Kitty was also a dentist in 1851 Census. Catherine had married Aaron Aarons a master tailor and her brother Moses names her as his sister Kitty Aaron in his will- see thread Catherine Aaron- Dentist 1851). The Crawcour also had their own premises and advertised widely across England and Scotland.
    In his article Whitehaven and Its Jews 1774-1850 W R Sellick refers to Barnet Crawcourvisiting Glasgow in 1831- Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaelogical Society Vol XC111 1993

Phillip

The London Metropolitan Archives WR/L/P/1802/007 records the entry for Barnett Crawcour for a printing press at 15 Strand Saint Martins in the Fields 1 letter 30 Sept 1802. An examination of newspaper advertisements covering the period 1800-1949 shows that the Crawcour had between 1800-1849 -221 known advertisements but their rivals the Mallan ( also a Jewish line) 4670.
    Given the need to advertise widely as itinerant dentists as well as having established addresses in different parts of the country particularly London or Edinburgh the use of prolific advertisements was very costly for both the Crawcour and Mallan among others. It should be no surprise that Barnet Crawcour was seeking to reduce costs for advertisements if he had his own printing press or shared it with his siblings and father.
    In addition to being surgeon dentists both Samuel Crawcour and his son Barnett ( other Crawcour also advertised as cupper) were apothecaries. I hold copies of treatments from their apothecary book and there are some advertisements advertising dental and other treatments.
    Cecil Roth in his series of papers The Rise of Provincial Jewry (published 1950). The Early Communities -Section 4-Jersey to Nottingham)-online JCR-UK wrote-"The continous record of the Norwich community dates,however, only from the year 1813, when a fresh burial ground-the third- was acquired in the names of Barnett Crawcour dentist;Henry Carr merchant;Israel Jacobs optician;Colman Michael of Wymondham, merchant. The first names was regarded as the father of the community, having been responsible for the establishment of the Synagogue, then situated near St.George's Tombland Church".
    However, Roth was mistaken when he referred to among the local families on Jersey The Channel Islands that a Crawcour, a dentist, said to have originated the amalgam filling of teeth was living on the island.
    There was a Crawcour dentist namely David Crawcour c 1791-1882 dentist and cupper living at St Helier Jersey but he was my 4x great grandfather and youngest brother of Barnet and he was not the originator of amalgam filling.
    The earliest newspaper record of a dental filling connected to the Crawcour that I have discovered to date refers to-"Tender and decayed teeth effectually and permanently stopped by Mr Crawcour's Anodyne Cement (late of London) which fills up the cavity, however large, without the least pain, and becomes hard and sound as the teeth itself.." 20 Feb 1830 Norwich Mercury.
    Whether this advertisement refers to Barnett Crawcour is unclear because by 13 November 1830 reference is made to the filling Mineral Succedaneum ( from the meaning to substitute among other derivations). This mineral filling has notorious connections to the two Crawcour brothers Charles and Edward as well as to the Mallan- there are numerous articles relating to the various individuals both in American and British newspaper and academic papers.
    It is likely that Charles and Edward Crawcour were the initiators of the first advertisements for mineral succedaneum - "A new discovery for the teeth.. Charles Crawcour (of the firm Crawcour and Brothers) surgeon dentists 8 Brunswick House Commercial Road London 9 Nov Aris's Birmingham Gazette and earlier Mr C Crawcour surgeon dentist from the old established Messrs Crawcour...Brothers Brunswick House, nephew and successor to Mr M Crawcour late of Barn Field Crescent, Exeter.." 29 May 1830 Exeter and Plymouth Gazette.
    Mr M Moses was Moses Crawcour brother of Barnet who died in 1858 a wealthy property owner. Between 1830-1839 some 7600 advertisements appear in newspapers in which the term"succedaneum" appears with the addition in later examples of the word "Royal" Most of the advertisements are by the Mallan family.

Phillip

Loves to help with queries

Default CRAWCOUR - BARCSINKSY

Phillip, are you familiar with this? I just found it.
    Anglo-Jewry’s Experience of Secondary Education from the 1830s until 1920 byEmma Tanya Harris

https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/1444779/1/U592088.pdf

If not, check it out. I haven't read it yet, only searched for the names Crawcour and Barcsinsky - lots on the latter and mention of the former.

Eve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast