Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

Default Susan Nott Transported 1845

Whilst searching my Cornwall ancestors, I realised that one branch disappeared after 1841. Searching on the most unusual name, I discovered that the wife: Susan Nott age 37 in 1845 was convicted of "larceny of the person" and sentenced to 10 years transportation.

In 1841 census at Veryan, Cornwall the family consisted of James Nott (aged 40, shoemaker), Susan (aged 30), John Nott (aged 4), Emma Nott (aged 2) and Betsy Nott (aged 3 months)

Emma Nott was born 12th March 1839, baptised at Bodmin, and she reappears in 1861 living at Liskeard aged 21. Emma appears to marry William Ruse in 1869 (still trying to find marriage entry in PRs) and remains in Cornwall until 1901 according to census.

I haven't been able to find the rest of the family after 1841 - so is it likely they all followed Susan to wherever she was transported to? I am guessing that for some reason Emma decided to return.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

Have you seen her details here on the Queensland government Onesearch site? Not sure if it will mention any other family members.

https://onesearch.slq.qld.gov.au/prim...8IC%29&dscnt=0

Hope ok to post that!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This page has the links to the relevant images from Tasmanian Archives, which you can view online (free).

https://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/me...ype=C&id=53269

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a Betsy Nott age 10 in 1851 in st Austell on FMP index. Is that a possible?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

In 1851 there is a John NOTT, 13, born Veryan, a servant to a miller in St Ewe.

HO107/1908 folio 5 page 2 (reference to record held by TNA)

Wilkes_ml

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies. The Tasmanian archive record has amazing information. I can not be absolutely certain this Susan Nott is the same as that married to James Nott. However the one that was convicted and transported is listed as being married and having 5 children, whom she deserted prior to becoming a prostitute and keeping a brothel! She neglected family for 3 weeks and became a vagrant.

So I guess her husband and children probably didn't follow her!

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    There is a Betsy Nott age 10 in 1851 in st Austell on FMP index. Is that a possible?
    Looks like that's the right one - Emma is with her aswell! Thanks.

I was using Ancestry, and they didn't come up. Forgot to check FMP

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    In 1851 there is a John NOTT, 13, born Veryan, a servant to a miller in St Ewe.

HO107/1908 folio 5 page 2 (reference to record held by TNA)
    I'm pretty certain this is the correct John. he was baptised at Truro, but quite possibly born at Veryan.

Thanks

Wilkes_ml

Just an update:

James Nott's parents were John Nott and Elizabeth nee COLLETT. James daughter Betsey's birth was registered as Betsey Collet Nott in Mar Q 1841 , and she married Sep Q 1859. which is why I couldn't find her in 1861!

Wilkes_ml

Another quick update: Betsey married William Henry Dowrick, and remained in Veryan. One of her children was named Susan Anna, so Betsey had obviously been told who her mother was (even though she was only 4 when her mother deserted the family).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast