Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titanicfan

Default Bravery Award - George PHILPOTT Ramsgate

Hi all

I've just read the following posting in the Isle of Thanet Mailing List and thought maybe one of the members may be connected to this person or may be able to help?

'I have been contacted by a Julie Owen who says:

I am in possession of an award presented to a George PHILPOTT to
    commemorate his bravery during the Zeppelin raid of 19th March 1916 on
    Ramsgate.

I am trying to find out more about this and whether there may be any
    surviving relatives who might like it. I have found your site most helpful
    but have found no mention anywhere of bravery awards given following this
    raid.

The award takes the form of an inscribed tankard. The inscription reads:

GEORGE PHILPOTT - For Bravery saving his sister's life during Zeppelin
    attack on Ramsgate March 19th 1916'.

If anyone can help, please contact me.

regards

Richard Mason
    Bedfordshire UK

Visit our web site at:
    https://www.janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk/index.htm

willow

The Times dated Fri 9th June 1916
    "A silver cup is being presented by the Mayor of Ramsgate to George Philpott a boy of 15, who shielded his little sister with his own body when bombs fell near them in the air raid of March 19. The boy himself was wounded in the leg and a brother was killed, but the sister unhurt."

Titanicfan

Thanks for the helpful info, Willow. I've replied back to Richard Mason with your reply.

Brian Dunne

Hi
    This family is still living in East Kent. Gorge Philpott was born in 1900, married in 1934, had two daughters one in 1936, the other in 1938. I have traced a couple of the younger daughter children, and will pass this thread onto them. Before doing this I will try and trace the sister, George saved.

Regards
    Brian

willow

East Kent Times February 14th 1917

BOY HERO DEAD

Ramsgate's boy hero, George Edward PHILPOTT, who displayed such presence of mind during the seaplane raid on the town in that ever memorable day, Sunday march 19th last year, is dead. It will be remembered that as the enemy aviators were dropping their bombs, George PHILPOTT, who was 16 years of age at the time of his death, made younger brother and sisters, who were on their way to Sunday school, lie down in the road to minimise their danger. He himself was wounded in the knee by a splinter from one of the bombs. Later in the year he was recipient of gifts in memory of his bravery, and was cheered to the echo by the scholars at St Luke's Sunday School as he received them
    Since the raid he has suffered considerably from ill health brought about by shock and his injury, but bravely continued his work in the offices of the Corporation Gas Works. On Monday he became so ill that his removal to the General Hospital was ordered, and he was removed there by ambulance. Despite the best attention, however, he died just after 11 o'clock on Tuesday morning. His death, it is understood, was brought about by affection of the heart. His mother and father, who live at 43, Finsbury Road, are almost heartbroken at the loss of their son. They feel that the raiders have still another death to account for.

Brian Dunne

Hi
    Delete my previous post!! Through FreeBMD I traced George Edward Philpott. There is then a marriage in 1934 for a George E Philpott etc all within Thanet. I have identified the brother who died, Ernest R Philpott aged 12. According to the 1911 census there were three brothers and three sisters. I wonder which sister he saved? Is the name mentioned in the East Kent Times? (Is this newspaper available on line?)
    Trgards

Brian

willow

Hi Brian
    I cannot find the sister that was saved.
    Do you have the details of The family?

Sue

Brian Dunne

Hi
    Have sent you a pm.
    Brian

Wilkes_ml

Very interesting as my mum was a Phillpott before marriage - her father was William Henry John Phillpott who lived in Ramsgate until his death about 1976. However, I have traced his family back to Margate. It is very likely there is a very distant relationship with this brave boy - could take me a while to work it out!

Theo_NL

Hi Wilkes,
    Maybe a strange question.. I own a Morris Minor from 1965, which was imported from UK in 1998 (I live in the Netherlands). A batch on the glove compartment shows the supplier of the Morris: Philpott's Garage Canterbury Road Ramsgate. I found a old picture of the garage. Just for curiosity, could the father of your mum be the one who owned that garage? I know the garage opened at 1936, but do not know when it was closed.

You write Phillpott (2 x l) in your post. Is that correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast