Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Required.

Nigel 1804

Default Help Required.

I am researching the GUY family tree,and at present one member of the family is giving me a few headaches, although it is something i would love to solve because of the mystery and intrigue associated with this person.
    His name is John GUY (aka Jack), the last reference to him i have is the 1911 census which is as follows,

25 Eden Terrace, Coundon, Bishop Auckland, County Durham.
    John GUY (son), age 14, Trapping in mine, born Spennymoor Co Durham.

Now after talking to my aunt (his niece) she informed me that he was a bigamist, and at the time it had been reported in the News Of The World newspaper, so i would of thought he would have been imprisoned for the offence.
    He also at sometime went to the USA to find his fortune, but something happened there and he was either deported or left in a hurry for reasons unknown.
    I have no dates as to the above, or information regarding his marriage(s), or where the events took place, so if anyone could offer any advice or assist in any way , i would be extreemly grateful.

bjelkier

There is an entry on FMP passenger lists for a John Guy - born 1897 - sailed from Liverpool to Philadelphia on 7/1/1920 [ age 23, occupation quarryman], unfortunately it doesn't give his address in UK.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Yet another John Guy 'tho' aged 30 on his date of arrival 10 Aug 1929 in Quebec on board the "Antonia"

here

A few also on inbound ships possibly another John Guy as he is a Fireman 3rd class returned from the S.S. Lapland. Feb.6 1918

John Guy b.25/5/1899 a clerk & Mary b. 30/5/1895 going to 129 Abbottshey Ave. to visit for 5 weeks. L'pool. 111 Aug.1955 R.M.S. "Ivernia"

They're out there!
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Here's one whose details seem to match:

UK Incoming Passenger lists

Arriving on board the Carmania at Liverpool from New York on 20 Nov 1922, listed on a British Passengers page

Jack Guy, proposed address in UK: Conndon, Co. Durham, Melhshaw, Occupation: R.R. Inspector, Age 25, Country of Last Permanent Residence: U.S.A. Country of Intended Future Pemanent Residence: England

This looks like your man arriving in Philidelphia from Liverpool in January 1921 on board the Haverford:

John Guy, 23, married, miner/quarryman, last residence Connden, nearest relative at departure: father George Grey (sic), 25 Eden Terrace, Tottenham, going to uncle James Strong, Box 83, Mecca, Park Co. Indiana., place of birth Spenymore (sic) England.
    Last edited by AdeleE; 21-06-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: added age

Nigel 1804

Thanks one and all, looks like AdeleE has hit the jackpot, does anyone know what a R.R. Inspector is ?.
    I have been looking for a John GUY in marriage records, i will try the name Jack just in case he went under that christian name.
    Once again many thanks to you all.

I think that R.R. means Rail Road.

There is a John J Guy / Elizabeth J Temperley marriage in Q3 1918 Auckland registration district, Durham. Could the initial J stand for Jack?

One female child born to a Guy/Temperley in Q3 1918 Auckland, a male child born Q1 1920 in Lanchester to a Guy/Temperley, then no more children after that.....

Nigel 1804

Hi AdeleE,
    john Guy had only the one christian name, but was always called jack by friends and family.
    There is always a possibility he married in the USA, then remarried in the UK thus commiting bigamy.
    Could you tell me where you found the ships passenger records, as the only place i have looked was the Ellis island website

I found the passenger records on Ancestry. I see that when he arrived in the USA in 1921, he was recorded as married on the passenger list. Perhaps his second marriage was in the USA?

Nigel 1804

Just realised it says he was married when he left the UK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast