Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    soundranger

Default The abbreviation 'JNO', as a christian name.

What christian name is it short for, stemming from marriage certificate 1842.

Thanks.

John

Reputation beyond repute

Jno is short for John. And don't let anyone tell you anything different.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Jno is short for John. And don't let anyone tell you anything different.
    I agree with Peter. I have several "John's" shown as JNO on Marriage records and who later were shown as "John" on census returns.

Colin

Jeuel

Jno = John
    Thos = Thomas
    Jas = James
    Chas = Charles

soundranger

Thank you both, Peter and Colin,

Both confirmed what I was thinking. But, just needed confirmation beyond repute!

Thanks, again

John

BeeE586

Sorry to disagree but I have Jonathan's in more than one of my family lines quite regularly abbreviated to Jno. Is it pehaps a regional thing - all the families are either Derbyshire or Yorkshire ? Jno appears for Jonathan in my case in registers, census and once on a will. I do not dispute that Jno can also be used for John where there is evidence.

Eileen

Knowledgeable and helpful

Peter is correct Jno is the abbreviation for John. Unfortunately our ancestors often did not know or follow such "rules" for abbreviations.

The wisest course of action is to copy the name exactly as given; if an abbreviation is used use the abbreviation given.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Reputation beyond repute

I have Jonathan's in more than one of my family lines quite regularly abbreviated to Jno
    They could make mistakes back in genealogical times too! I was looking at a record the other day where Geo was written but the man was certainly called James!

Bertie

I have the same issue/problem and conclude that it's a variation of John, but hardly an abbreviation!! I wonder why it was done at all as it doesn't make sense to me!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie View Post
    I wonder why it was done at all as it doesn't make sense to me!
    Jno. is an abbreviation of the Latin Johannes. In medieval Latin this could be written as Jhohannes, abbreviated Jho. It has been suggested that the second letter (h) lost its ascender over the years, and came to be written as n. So the abbreviation became Jno.

As regards Jonathan, it's possible that person was sometimes known familiarly as John, hence the written short-form Jno. appears for people known from other sources to be Jonathan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast