Thread: Ordering a will

junedye64

Default Ordering a will

Can someone tell me the best way to order a will please.

I looked on TNA and it gives you a phone no. I tried that but the person on the switchboard gave me a different no. (both London nos.) The second no. I was told was unobtainable. Phoned the first no. back but he said it was the right no.
    Where do I go from here. Do I write a letter? Also if I write a letter, can you ask for two wills in the same letter, or do you have to do them seperate.
    OR do you have the right phone no.
    Help!

June

Wilkes_ml

This website gives all the contact details for the London probate office

Hopefully the personal application number is the correct one

Starting to feel at home

Wills after 1858 are applied for by post only from The Probate Registry, Castle Chambers, Clifford Street, York. YO2 9GR. The cost is £5. Ideally you need a date (year) of death but they will do a small search for you. Wills befoe 1858 were proved by the church and are available to view at various record offices depending where the person died and where their estate was. Ancestry have just put the National Probate Register Calendar on line 1861-1941, the index is free to view, for more details its by subscription.
    Chris

junedye64

Thank you to both of you. I will write then. Is it okay to order two wills in the same letter and sending a £10 cheque?
    Or do they prefer it done seperately.

June

Starting to feel at home

If you are writing to York it's ok to ask for more than one Will, £5 each, however if you want 2 copies of the SAME Will it's only £1 extra for the second one. The standard search include a 4 year seach starting from year of death or the year you state. If you use Ancestry there is an application form to fill in and although you can fill it in on-line you still have to post it to York.

junedye64

Thanks Chrissie.

June

Reputation beyond repute

I will write then
    As you only live in Essex you may find it more interesting and perhaps quicker to take a trip to High Holborn and order them in person. Their one hour service means you can take the copies home with you.

While you're there you could also look at the years which are missing from the Ancestry digitisation

junedye64

Good idea Peter.

I was in London yesterday, but I had Grandchildren with me and we were going to the theatre.

So frustrating. So near but so far.

June

nataliew

does anyone have the right website address for the probate forms / registry office? I'm trying the link on ancestry but seems to be broken!

junedye64

nataliew
    The link that Wilkes_ml gave in thread 2 is the one.

June