Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home N@alie's Avatar

Like Peter, I found one of mine purely by chance looking on line earlier as my man died in 1898 but administration was not granted until 1909 - it does also state "Former grant February 1899".

When he died he left a widow (who died in 1906) and three children. His son was the executor who was 13 when his father died and 26 when administration was granted.

I would be interested to know why it could have taken so long.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    As this is just the Probate Index, wouldn't the "unknown teacher" be the executor? You'd surely need the will itself to know if he was a beneficiary.
    Indeed! I now realise he was her son-in-law. I had forgotten that the daughter had married.

rogtut

LDS have films for wills up to 1925.

pottoka

Thank you, Kerrywood. I can't keep up with all the new collections on A*y and was actually considering "letting them go" when they came begging for more money, but it looks as though I might be shelling out again ...

pottoka

I've just taken time off to look and see if any of my ancestors were intelligent enough about their own mortality to leave wills, but it would seem not; either that, or they hadn't got anything to leave, which I know is true about a good part of the family. But it's annoying to find the siblings of an ancestor leaving wills and not him/her!

And now I have two questions which may be daft, but I have to ask them as I don't know the answers!

If it says "Administration" instead of "Probate", does that mean that the person died intestate?

Am I confusing things by thinking that women were "freed" from being the chattels of men when they got the vote, or was there a previous act about property and woman? I just find it difficult to believe that a female ancestor who didn't work could have saved nearly £2000 between emancipation and early 1922 when she died, but how else could it be hers when her husband was still alive?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    If it says "Administration" instead of "Probate", does that mean that the person died intestate?
    Not necessarily. There may have been a will which didn't go to probate for some reason, perhaps because of an irregularity in the wording or signatures, or the executor(s) may have declined to act, or been unable to do so, or he/she may have died between the writing of the will and the testator's death. In these cases you may find a grant of administration "with the will annexed".

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    Am I confusing things by thinking that women were "freed" from being the chattels of men when they got the vote, or was there a previous act about property and woman?
    A key date was 1882, when the Married Women's Property Act was passed (England and Wales). Before that date a married woman could make a will -- but only with her husband's permission. After 1882 she had the right to buy and sell property and dispose of her own assets without reference to her husband.

The downside was that along with legal recognition came liability for her own debts.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Amazing! The first online record I checked explains why I couldn't find any reference in the calendars when I checked manually.
    The man died in 1896 and administration was granted in 1924! Some people just don't believe in rushing into things!
    Also with Natalies post, does this occur because other people contest the will, or things have to be proven to belong to the deceased.? I love questions but answers are really good
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

pottoka

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Not necessarily. There may have been a will which didn't go to probate for some reason, perhaps because of an irregularity in the wording or signatures, or the executor(s) may have declined to act, or been unable to do so, or he/she may have died between the writing of the will and the testator's death. In these cases you may find a grant of administration "with the will annexed".

A key date was 1882, when the Married Women's Property Act was passed (England and Wales). Before that date a married woman could make a will -- but only with her husband's permission. After 1882 she had the right to buy and sell property and dispose of her own assets without reference to her husband.

The downside was that along with legal recognition came liability for her own debts.
    Thank you for clearing up those points, Kerrywood (and please excuse the delay in replying). I think I'm going to be joining the queues ordering wills.

freddy

Hi folks

Has anyone had any problems with ordering copies of wills by post from York. I ordered copies for 5 of my relatives on 12th August with the cheque clearing on 19th and have heard nothing. I sent a chasing letter last Thursday but still await a reply.

Your comments please.

Hi Freddy, and welcome to the forums,

People's experience may differ, but I was told by staff at the Probate Registry in High Holborn last week that over-the-counter orders for postal delivery are currently taking about two weeks, while orders from York are taking about 4 weeks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast