Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    soundranger

Thanks,

Posted his details on previous thread, George LEWRY, b. abt 1822(place of birth not known). Just trying to place him,as besides his approx. date of birth, marriage and children, both myself and another relative know nothing about him. My own personal nemesis!

John

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by soundranger View Post
    Thanks,

Posted his details on previous thread, George LEWRY, b. abt 1822(place of birth not known). Just trying to place him,as besides his approx. date of birth, marriage and children, both myself and another relative know nothing about him. My own personal nemesis!

John
    As your two threads both concern research into the origins of the same man, I have merged the threads to avoid duplication of research by forum members.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by soundranger
    Can place family, but unable to find missing husband, who 100% was a Royal Marine at time of census. Any indications as to 'place' Marine for this census
    As before...........
    What was his occupation on his death certificate in 1856?
    How certain are you that this death certifiacte relates to your chap?

Do have a read through the TNA resaerch guides on RM records

soundranger

Geoffers,

I am 100% certain I have George's death cert., and that he was a RM on death. Cause of death: Convulsive fit! I have been to the RN Cemetry, Clayhall, Gosport, and he is not in their burial register.

How do I find a RM's details in the 1841 and 1851 Census, when, as mentioned, I have his wife's and childrens' details? They lived in East Stonehouse, Plymouth.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by soundranger
    How do I find a RM's details in the 1841 and 1851 Census, when, as mentioned, I have his wife's and childrens' details? They lived in East Stonehouse, Plymouth.
    Whilst the wife and children may have been in East Stonehouse; he may have been out of the country on these two census dates and so not included.

soundranger

On other family members , ie RN ships, crews, on duty, have been included in the respective Census. I have searched for Mayhill Barracks, without success, on Census forms. Any Knowledge? What I am thinking is the Census accounts for people at an address on a given date, at a specific time/period. Perhaps those military personnel who are on duty at a military establisnment are included, some how, on a Census of that establishment, ship etc., rather than their home address.

Geoffers

Recording of schedules for RN ships in home and foreign waters is reasonably comphrensive from 1861 onwards.

In 1841 there was a headcount, in 1851 shcedules were given to vessels in British Ports.

If someone was at sea or serving on land in a foreign country then you will not locate them in a census for 1841 or 1851.

You may need to read the resaerch guides on TNA's web-site and then prepare for a visit to Kew.

Bertie

Hi soundranger - one or two snippets...

As his family were in East Stonehouse, Plymouth for such a long time it's possible your rellie transferred from the Portsmouth Division of the RM to the Plymouth Division (one of mine did) and the barracks there were at Stonehouse, Plymouth. As others have suggested, a trip to Kew may be necessary to find his records. However, if you only had some information that would help - name of one ship he was on, which company he belonged to, etc. I can find nothing on a search of the Nat Archives with various spelling variations! However, even if you find the records, they will MOST UNLIKELY (or not at all) give any more detail than his date and place of birth (and even date of birth is often put back a couple of years to appear to be older!)

Re. chr. what about: George Lewry, 26 Oct 1823, Hurstpierpoint, mother Lucy

There are a few Lewry results from 1841 / 1851 a lot in the Cuckfield / Sussex area: I know it's a little detour, but if you try to fit these families together you may establish a likely 'fit' for your George

I imagine his death is that Q2 1856, Alverstoke, in which case most likely they had moved back to Forton Barracks area after 1851 (which opened only in 1848).

This is probably mot much help, but do post any ideas or more information as it may lead to a breakthrough: in my own case I have tracked a RM rellie via a roundabout route, so it can be done!

Bertie

I've just looked at the 1861 census (only via public search - don't have a sub.) but there are various Lewry people in Hampshire in 1861...

George and Charlotte with 2 children (likely) in Alverstoke
    James and Sarah, Portsea Island
    Theresa, Alverstoke

night be worth looking into their backgrounds, esp. as born around the right sort of period (1820/1830)

Bertie

There's also an interesting thread on rootschat - see - rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,288084.0.html

It also has an email address for someone in the Lewry one name study.
    Last edited by Geoffers; 19-08-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: removal of direct link to rival forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast