Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Helen60

Default Major Daniel O'Connell - c1840(Ireland)-1860

I have discovered a photograph of the grave of Major Daniel O’Connell in an album of Family Photographs but have no idea how he is related.
    He first appears in The London Gazette, dated 14 April 1843, as Lt Daniel O’Connell, to be Captain by purchase in the 38th Foot.
    He next appears in the 1851 Jersey Census living in St Saviour with his wife Jane and daughter Theresa J., as a Captain on half pay. The final time I can find him is in The London Gazette, 15 June 1855 when he returns to active service as a Captain in the 49th Foot and is also made a Brevet Major.
    From then he disappears, there is no record of him being injured, retiring or of his death.
    Can anyone provide any further information to help identify him?

Here is the inscription on the grave which may not be in this country.
    ‘In Memory of Major Daniel O’Connell late 38 Regiment who departed this life on the 7 of March 1860 aged 44 years. Universally Beloved and Respected. Erected by his Affectionate Wife.
    Requiescat in Pace.

Here rest the Remains of Jane Relict of Major Daniel O’Connell died London 2? January 1863 Aged 44 (41?) Years.
    Requiescat in Pace.’

Plain stone cross on square plinth.

Helen

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Helen60 View Post
    Here rest the Remains of Jane Relict of Major Daniel O’Connell died London 2? January 1863 Aged 44 (41?) Years.
    Requiescat in Pace.’
    Hello Helen,

A couple of clues....

The words, "died London" on a gravestone indicates to me that the gravestone itself is nowhere near London. However, looking on FreeBMD, there is a death in the March quarter of 1863, which would cover a death in January, of a Jane O'CONNELL in the Lambeth registration district, volume 1d, page 272.

Maybe it could be worth getting that certificate?

There is another Jane O'CONNELL's death registered in the same year, but in the September quarter in Whitechapel (1c, 309) so I think that the former is the more likely.

Have you checked the London Gazette for Jane's death? I had a quick look for Daniel's but could find no reference to it.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Helen60 View Post
    He next appears in the 1851 Jersey Census living in St Saviour with his wife Jane and daughter Theresa J., as a Captain on half pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    there is a death in the March quarter of 1863, which would cover a death in January, of a Jane O'CONNELL in the Lambeth registration district, volume 1d, page 272.
    Does this help at all?

1861 census (record held by TNA, Crown copyright)
    RG9/360 folio 134 page 6
    11 York Terrace, Camberwell Road, Lambeth
    Jane O'CONNELL Head W 38 House Proprietor born London
    Therese J. O'CONNELL Daur Un 15 born Yorks Hull
    Emma O'CONNELL Daur Un 7 born Jersey
    Henry S. BEDFORD Visitor Un 29 Clerk (Merchants) born Yorks Doncaster

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Further to the above...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Therese J. O'CONNELL Daur Un 15 born Yorks Hull
    Possible marriage in Hull (from FreeBMD and Yorkshire BMD index)

Dec Qtr 1844
    O'CONNELL Daniel/WILLIAMS Jane (Sculcoates Register Office)
    and
    O'CONNELL Daniel/WILLIAMS Jane (St Andrew, Drypool)

Helen60

Hello Jan1954

Many thanks for your reply but apart from obtaining certificates all these leads have been tried.

Helen

Helen60

Hello Kerrywood

Many thanks for you reply and information but all this information has already been followed up.

Helen

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Helen60
    The final time I can find him is in The London Gazette, 15 June 1855 when he returns to active service as a Captain in the 49th Foot and is also made a Brevet Major.
    From then he disappears, there is no record of him being injured, retiring or of his death.
    Can anyone provide any further information to help identify him?

Here is the inscription on the grave which may not be in this country.
    ‘In Memory of Major Daniel O’Connell late 38 Regiment who departed this life on the 7 of March 1860 aged 44 years. Universally Beloved and Respected. Erected by his Affectionate Wife.
    Requiescat in Pace.

Here rest the Remains of Jane Relict of Major Daniel O’Connell died London 2? January 1863
    Any luck following his career in the Army List? (try your County Record Office or large reference library who may have a partial run of it).

Did he leave a will?

Any obit in The Times?

Helen60

To Geoffers

Thanks for reminding me about the Army List will check that out. Unfortunately he didn't leave a will but it appears his wife did so I intend sending for it in the near future and there is no obit. in the The Times.

Thanks

Helen

Tulaaz

Default Major Daniel O'Connell

Hi there Helen!
    On Peerage.com he is listed as the following:
    Major Daniel O'Connell1
    M, b. 31 July 1811, d. 6 April 1860
    Major Daniel O'Connell was b. 31 Jul 1811 and died 6 Apr 1860

Major Daniel O'Connell was baptised on 31 July 1811
    1. He was the son of Daniel O'Connell and Theresa Lombard.
    2 He married Jane Williams, daughter of William Williams, in February 1845.
    3. He died on 6 April 1860 at age 48. He was also reported to have died on 7 March 1860.
    4. Major Daniel O'Connell gained the rank of Captain on 14 April 1843 in the service of the 38th Regiment.
    5 He gained the rank of Major in the service of the 45th Regiment.
    Children of Major Daniel O'Connell and Jane Williams

* Theresa Jane O'Connell2 b. 25 Aug 1845
    * Kathleen Nash O'Connell2 b. 17 Oct 1852

I wish it was so easy to find my O'Connell ancestor!
    Regards.
    Last edited by Tulaaz; 27-01-2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Spelling errors.

Helen60

Hi Tulaaz

Many thanks for that information but I had already found it. I have also discovered that he died in St Helier, Jersey and is buried there. Unfortunately I have still not managed to find the link to our family.

Thanks once again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast