Loves to help with queries

Default Anit-aircraft defences in S Lincs.

I realise that this is my fourth request for information this month and I apologise if it appears that I am monopolising this part of the forum at the moment ...but...

Does anyone have any information they would be willing to share concerning the distribution of Anti-Aircraft defences in South Lincolnshire during the war please? I know that there was a cluster of searchlights in the Spalding area - one at Pinchbeck, one at Pode Hole and the third at Moulton, but as far as I can find out there were no guns associated with them and no worthwhile targets in the area. Does anyone know whether there were any other gunless cluster like this elsewhere? I've been led to believe that they were used as navigation aids to returning bombers approaching the coast, but is that all? At this distance in time it seems to be a wasted resource if that was their sole function. I have a copy of "Roof over Britain" - The official story of the A.A.defences 1939-42 - but it doesn't really help in this instance.

Can anyone shed more light please? (Yes the pun was intended!)

Regards,

Paul

cfww2

Far from being a wasted resource, having searchlights marking the way for damaged aircraft was an invaluable aid to the RAF. Leaving aside the saving of lives, the recovery of damaged aircraft and their ability to land back at base when lost, or needing a direct route outweighed the actual cost of having searchlights being used without guns.

However, they may also have been part of the decoy plans against German night attacks. Two books that you may want to consult together are:

Fields of Deception
    and
    AA Command

Both are written by Colin Dobinson (in conjunction with English Heritage), and both not only have great information and maps, but they also give grid references for Q sites, K sites, and HAA batteries.

Boith should be available via your library.

Loves to help with queries

Thank you - I'll see whether I can get hold of them.