British Viking

Default Synagogue records?

Do synagogues keeps records similar to the church ones?

The reason I ask this is because one of my relatives, an upstanding constable in the City of London police force, Christian Frank Moller, got married on the 5th Sept 1939. The marriage cert indicates the wife as being Cecilia Wiesinger from Golders Green which is, of course a main Jewish area of London. She may have been disowned in view of marrying a non-Jew? I have no idea really. Other documents indicate she was born on 26 Oct 1914. (consternation may be because Jewish Law indicates if the mother is Jewish but the father is'nt then the children are Jewish. If it's the father who is Jewish and not the wife who is Jewish then the children are'nt Jewish!)

If the synagogue(s) do keep records, possibly her birth maybe have been recorded therein as I'm having great problems getting her birth info for buying her birth cert?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Google offers several sites which may help, Here are 3.

www.
    jewishgen.org/databases/UK/[/url]

www.
    jewishgen.org/databases/UK/

www.
    jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/vjw/England.html
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Another one that I have found useful is British Jewry https://
    british-jewry.org.uk/index.html
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Reputation beyond repute

I recommend the book My Ancestors were Jewish by Dr Anthony Joseph obtainable through Parish Chest (or library, of course)

Reputation beyond repute

More cross posting. The question seems to have been answered in the other thread

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...-to-Lee-Marvin)

British Viking

No, not cross posting. As I was'nt sure of the answer I received in the other post I thought it more approriate to ask the question in the Jewish forum here.

junedye64

BV did you see my reply on your other thread?

June 1914
    Margot E C Wiesinger (Initial C could be Cecilia)
    Edmonton (Near Golders Green)
    Mother maiden name Thie
    3a 986

Default SURNAMES

Given that the surnames Weisinger and Moller are of German origin and that both appear as Jewish surnames it would be no surprise if Christian also had Jewish roots hence the families marrying each other. Numerous Jewish immigrants became Anglicised and moved out of the Jewish faith changing their names and marrying non -Jews or else changing their faith.
    Phillip

British Viking

Phillip:

That's a very valid point. However, the Mollers in my Family Tree are all Danish but I've only gone back as far as the mid 1850s. The Schleswig-Holstein part of Denmark became German territory in 1866.

All my Mollers were spelt Møller which is unique to Denmark (still used today) and Norway (with a little bit in Sweden) but not in Germany where they tend to be Möller