Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Just found that with the limited information I could get from the resgister, there was enough that was legible to complete the order form. Including time for the search the anticipated shipping date is August 10.

Lizzy9

Good luck, Colin, and I hope you don't have to wait too long. Let us know when it arrives.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Just found that with the limited information I could get from the resgister, there was enough that was legible to complete the order form. Including time for the search the anticipated shipping date is August 10.
    As noted earlier in another thread, I ordered the cert and and quoted the page twice - once as 375 and again as 378. Neither resulted in a certificate, so was out the fees.

I am prepared to work on the 'assumption' that that the 'unconfirmed' birth place was Union Road, Batterse and that the Alma aged 4 and living with Thomas [a Miller] and Mary along with the 2 very much older 1/2 brothers is the right one. The address was King Street, Battersea [1861 census].

The most likely for 1871 is also from a 'source' and while the location of the residence is not in question, the family of the source who confirmed this as correct, doen't have thie head of house and their family in their tree that is on A. The location was in Camberwell St. Giles. Her details are aged 16, a servant and an unknown birthplace.

I am still piecing 'bits and pieces' from my other posts, howver much of those relate to other time frames. If there is something relevant, I'll add to this thread.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

As noted earlier in another thread, I ordered the cert and and quoted the page twice - once as 375 and again as 378. Neither resulted in a certificate, so was out the fees.
    Alma's birth record is apparently in the GRO index, as found by Lizzy9 (posts ##15-18 above). So a certificate should be obtainable.

The arrangements for certificate ordering have changed since you last tried. Your best bet would now be to order without giving the index reference, and let the GRO do the searching. The cost is the same.

Here's how to do it ...

When asked on the order form Is the GRO index reference number known, select No, and enter the year as 1856.

On the next page, complete the Delivery details as normal.

On the next page, enter the surname SHORES and the forenames Alma Elizabeth. Enter the date as 01/01/1856, and the place as Wandsworth (safer than Battersea). Don't add anything else on that page.

Then complete the rest of the order process as normal.

The GRO will search for a birth record to match those criteria, covering one year either side of the given date. If they can't find a record that matches, they will refund the whole fee. You can't lose.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Alma's birth record is apparently in the GRO index, as found by Lizzy9 (posts ##15-18 above). So a certificate should be obtainable.

The arrangements for certificate ordering have changed since you last tried. Your best bet would now be to order without giving the index reference, and let the GRO do the searching. The cost is the same.

Here's how to do it ...

When asked on the order form Is the GRO index reference number known, select No, and enter the year as 1856.

On the next page, complete the Delivery details as normal.

On the next page, enter the surname SHORES and the forenames Alma Elizabeth. Enter the date as 01/01/1856, and the place as Wandsworth (safer than Battersea). Don't add anything else on that page.

Then complete the rest of the order process as normal.

The GRO will search for a birth record to match those criteria, covering one year either side of the given date. If they can't find a record that matches, they will refund the whole fee. You can't lose.
    Been a while since I looked at this one.

Followed the ordeing instructions, I think and waited.

Others cert.s arrived in due course and I forgot about this one. You wre right, I didn't lose my fee and it was credited back to my credit care - so still out - but not money

I now know the quarter of her death and can order that certificate. Getting that may give me a date of death for which I may find a burial notice. The death cert. wil not neccesarilyl provide her exact age [as given by the informant] and therefore a date of birth;

Unless I've missed something, somewhere, how do I proceed?
    Checked my fi

judyg

Hi Colin
    Both Find my Past and FreeBMD have the birth certificate as Alma Elizabeth Shores July Quarter 1856 Wandsworth
    Registration District. Vol 1D page 378. Looking at the original on Find my Past confirms this, their image is quite clear.

I would be giving the GRO a rocket if I were you!!

Cheers
    Judyg

judyg

Hi Colin,

Now I am confused!! A Tree on ancestry that appears to be yours (or another Rowledge from Ontario) already has Alma's birth details as 27th August 1856 at Union Road, Battersea. How would you know that unless you already had the birth certificate?

Cheers
    Judyg

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by judyg View Post
    Hi Colin,

Now I am confused!! A Tree on ancestry that appears to be yours (or another Rowledge from Ontario) already has Alma's birth details as 27th August 1856 at Union Road, Battersea. How would you know that unless you already had the birth certificate?

Cheers
    Judyg
    And you have every right to be as that is my tree - which is a public one!! I'll look into it further.

Colin Rowledge

And you have every right to be as that is my tree - which is a public one!! I'll look into it further.
    Have solved that mystery. It was added by a family member who had the role of Editor on my public tree, but admitted that rather than 'scan and email to me' he sent the copy of the certificate by air-mail to me and it was never received. He has now scanned and emailed. I have also amended the roles of everyone with access to this tree to Guest so that this won't happen in the future.

Now to review that tree in more detail but it would appear Alma Elizabeth wasn't entirely truthful with the vicar.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Everything has now fallen into place.

We do have the correct birth certificate - August 27, 1856.
    She really did marry Michael Hayes at age 16 on December 25, 1872.
    All the census records from 1881 support the above along with children until the death of Michael Hayes on March 29, 1910

After the death of Michael, she was aged nearly 54 and she returned to the kind of work she did prior to her marriage. The final clincher was the 1911 census that I have just found. Her residence in 1911 was 198 Park Road, Crouch End and she was a General Domestic Servant. The original had all her details - most of which had red line through but was still legible - which stated 38 years married, 10 children born, 8 still living.

I have found 9 of those children so there is still one more out there.

She died in the Apr-Jun q. 1935 in Willesden. I must get that certificate. She was 78. I suspect that the died at the home of, or was in the home prior to her death, her daughter and son-in-law Sarah Jane and William Robert Rowledge [my Great-grandparents]. My late father often talked about her and he was very fond of her.

Colin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast