Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RonOne

Marriage: 24 Feb 1840 St Oswald, Winwick, Lancashire, England
    William Atherton - (X), Of full age, Nail maker, Bachelor of Ashton - Father: Thomas Atherton, Weaver
    Margaret Littler - (X), Minor, Spinster of Ashton - Father: Thomas Littler, Carpenter
    Witness: Jonathan Pilling, (X); Thomas Warburton
    Marriage by Banns by: Thomas J Whittington Curate

Note: Winwick is approximately 8 miles from Billinge

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrymivvy View Post
    If you look at census Class: HO107/522 Folio 36 Page 27 then we have possible Mother Hannah as only 10 years older than her son William
    I think you are reading Hannah's age as 30. My suggestion in post #13 was based on her being 50, though I agree it isn't clear. Perhaps it was originally recorded as 30 and then overwritten as 50?

EDIT - reviewing the thread, I see that you too originally thought Hannah's age was 50 (see post #1)
    Then I have an 1841 possibility with wife Margaret Atherton (all family shown as "Y" to born in County) at School Brow Upholland Lancs with (parents and siblings?) Thos Atherton 50 Cotton Weaver Y, Hannah Atherton 50 Y, Hannah Atherton 7 Y and Emma Atherton 4 Y.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 10-04-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: addition

strawberrymivvy

Thanks for this Derek, hope all well with you and your one name study - no small feat!

So many Athertons in that part of the world makes things very complicated at times

strawberrymivvy

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    I think you are reading Hannah's age as 30. My suggestion in post #13 was based on her being 50, though I agree it isn't clear. Perhaps it was originally recorded as 30 and then overwritten as 50?

EDIT - reviewing the thread, I see that you too originally thought Hannah's age was 50 (see post #1)
    You know Kerrywood, I've looked at this family so many times I swear I read something different each time I look at them! Not to mention so many Hannahs, Thomases and Williams... This time round I'm with you, I read it as aged 50 which makes a lot more sense.

Maybe I need a strong cuppa and a clear head!

Derek Atherton

So many Athertons in that part of the world makes things very complicated at times
    Well how about this for confusion (From Family Search) - the birth of William, in Coggleshall, parents called "Francis" and Hannah!
    birth: 23 May 1819
    christening: 13 Jun 1819 — INDEPENDENT,GREAT COGGESHALL,ESSEX,ENGLAND
    residence: 1819 — Essex, England
    parents: Francis Atherton, Hannah
    record title: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
    name: William Atherton
    baptism/christening date: 13 Jun 1819
    baptism/christening place: INDEPENDENT,GREAT COGGESHALL,ESSEX,ENGLAND
    birth date: 23 May 1819
    father's name: Francis Atherton
    mother's name: Hannah
    indexing project (batch) number: C06721-1
    system origin: England-ODM
    source film number: 593808

Can I suggest you have a look at my web site - see if you can add anything else?

Regards,

Derek
    www.
    tribalpages.com/tribes/atherton182
    (Access Code is "Burnley")
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 11-04-2011 at 4:14 PM. Reason: direct link to personal website

strawberrymivvy

Now where on earth did Francis come from! Better look into that one, maybe a Thomas Francis, or Francis Thomas...

Will have a look through your records and cross reference to my tree, my first comment would be related to Hannah Wood on the 1851 census, by which time she's Hannah Fryer.

The two Hannah Athertons are annotated as daughter and grand-daughter, the latter which you've changed to read "niece". The elder Hannah is of course the step-daughter of the head of household, Thomas Fryer. And the younger is the step-grand-daughter - she is Hannah Atherton's niece (ie William's daughter), not Thomas and Hannah Fryer's niece. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the access code, I come across your site regularly, and should have asked you for it before now

Derek Atherton

Many thanks - makes sense!

Derek

strawberrymivvy

Last edited by strawberrymivvy; 12-08-2014 at 9:42 PM. Reason: deleting as posted incorreectly!

strawberrymivvy

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post

To my mind, the combination of Spain, Woolwich, and a child born in or before 1820 suggests the Peninsular War. Maybe Thomas ATHERTON fought there and returned to depot in Woolwich? Maybe William (or the person filling in the census schedule) wasn't sure where he was born?
    Kerrywood, just done another search on my possible father for William, and have a Thomas Atherton fighting in the Peninsular Wars, enlisted at Plymouth 1813 in the 85th Regiment of Foot. They certainly saw action in Spain, though not sure why this would have William born there - surely Thomas' wife wouldn't have been with him??

Anyway, good to see that if we persevere and come back to things that new archives have opened up, and new info is out there!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123