Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    strawberrymivvy

Default William Atherton b 1820 Billinge, Lancashire

Some of you (hi Derek ) may have seen this posted elsewhere on other forums, but I'm struggling to find a definitive answer.

My GG Grandmother was Hannah Atherton, born 1846 in Billinge, Lancs and married to both Thomas Littler and Thomas Wilcock.

Her father was William Atherton, born around 1820. The 1871/81/91 census records say he was born in Spain, with 1871 clearly stating "British Subject". It had occurred to me that "Spain" might be a place in Lancashire, but this wording makes me think the birthplace is genuine.

I can't find a William Atherton with birthplace Spain on 1841/51/61 censuses. There is a possibility on 1861 - but shown as being born in Woolwich! Same person also on 1851 as being born in Woolwich with wife Margaret and children John 9 and Thomas 5 and Sister Emma 14. (I have no idea if "my" William had other children besides Hannah). Then I have an 1841 possibility with wife Margaret Atherton (all family shown as "Y" to born in County) at School Brow Upholland Lancs with (parents and siblings?) Thos Atherton 50 Cotton Weaver Y, Hannah Atherton 50 Y, Hannah Atherton 7 Y and Emma Atherton 4 Y. Occupation in 1841/51/61 is shown as nailer/nailmaker, which fits with "my" William, though could also fit with a million other people working in that part of Lancashire...

William was married to Margaret Littler, but have also been unable to trace marriage record.

So far I have been going on the assumption that the Williams mentioned above born Spain and Woolwich are in fact 2 separate people. If not, what would make him suddenly start quoting his birthplace as Spain?

Atherton in Lancashire was historically the centre of UK nailmaking, it did even occur to me that William came over from Spain and took the surname Atherton to anglicise his name. Alternatively, what would have taken his very working class parents to Spain, and what brought William back?

A previous person trying to help even suggested that in fact my Hannah Atherton (1846) was not the child of William and Margaret, but rather was daughter of another Hannah Atherton, sister to William, and that she used his name on birth certificate to avoid stigma of illegitimacy. However, her birth certificate clearly shows William Atherton and Margaret, nee Littler.

Any ideas gratefully received... this is one brick wall I am really struggling with, and hate to be stuck on this line with just GGG grandparents.

As an aside, Hannah's daughter from her marriage to Thomas Littler married her stepson from marriage to Thomas Wilcock!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Given that it was deliberately stated 'British Subject' leads one to believe the statement.
    I have a similar one on my wifes side, given as born on the high seas, another born on a specific ship. It ran me ragged until I discovered that wives accompanied seaman on Naval Ships at that time and this was a famous ship of the line. This man was baptized in Devonport, Plymouth when they docked.

Was Williams father a sailor and he was born on a ship docked in Spain. It could explain a lot.

Lizzy9

Could this be the marriage?

Mar qrt 1840, Warrington, vol 20 page 563.

William Atherton and on the same indexed page Margaret LITTLE.

Lizzy9

The family search pilot site has the above marriage, details : William Atherton to Margaret LITTLER, 24 Feb 1840, Winwick Lancaster.

Groom's father Thomas Atherton, bride's father Thomas Littler

Lizzy9

Family search pilot also has: Margaret Littler christening 20 Jun 1819, Winwick, Ashton in Makerfield, DOB 24 May 1819, 11th child and 9th dau of Thomas and Betty Littler.

Lizzy9

A possible marriage, again from family search pilot. Thomas LITLER to Betty LITLER 24 Jul 1796 at Winwick.

Lizzy9

I cannot find Hannah Atherton (circa 1846) on census returns with William and Margaret as parents', how certain are you on her parents' names? Do you have her birth/marriage certificate?

Have you found her in 1851/61 with William and Margaret?

strawberrymivvy

Hi Lizzy

I have both birth and marriage certificates for Hannah, both show William Atherton, nailmaker, as father and birth certificate shows Margaret nee Littler.

I have her on 1861 census, but unfortunately by then she's already living outside the family home, working as a servant.

The option I have for the 1851 census for William/Margaret doesn't have Hannah on it, which is another reason why I doubt it's the same family.

Lizzy9

Oh good! If you have the cert's we can be sure of her parentage. So, the Woolwich William has children John, Thomas and Emma. Does 'Spain' William have a John, Thomas or Emma of the same age?

Lizzy9

Strawberrymivvy, have you followed 'Woolwich' William and his children through the census after 1851? We need to definitely be able to disclude him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast