Richard Miller

Smile Reverend Thomas Norton

Hi Folks

I am trying to find information concerning Sarah Garrett who was born in Winchester abt. 1795 (dau. of John Garrett and Ann Wooldridge) who I believe married Thomas Norton.

I have found a marriage for a Reverend Thomas Norton to a Sarah Garrett as follows:-

Name: Reverend Thomas Norton occupation Clerk widower
    Spouse Name: Sarah Garrett spinster
    Record Type: Marriage
    Event Date: 20 Mar 1827
    Parish: St James, Clerkenwell
    County: Middlesex
    Borough: Islington
    Ages not given
    Witnesses Richard Garrett, Charles Garrett, Jane Rivington, Mary Amelia Heseltine

Sarah Garrett had brothers Richard and Charles as well as William Garrett (my great great grandfather) who worked for Winchester Cathedral all his life and had 2 sons and one grandson who were all ordained clergymen.

Any help to find out more about Reverend Thomas Norton would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard

janbooth

Have you tried a Google Book Search on the Rev Thomas Norton. There is some info about a Rev Thomas Norton who went out to a Mission at Aleppie c1816 - don't know whether he is your chap though - no scrub him as he apparently died of dysentery there "after many years of laborious service". However, there are quite a few other Reverend Thomas Norton entries, so you may find something of interest.

Janet

Richard Miller

Hi Janet

Thanks for your suggestion.

With some additional help from another genealogy expert like yourself I was able to discover that the Rev. Thomas Norton who went to Allepie as a missionary was inded the one who married Sarah Garrett who was his 3rd wife of 4, by looking through the Church Missionary Society records available through Google books.

Best wishes

Richard