hivesmart2

Default Patrick Donnelly 1864 Clonoe Co. Tyrone

Patrick moved between co. Tyrone and Lanarkshire and the 650 Inniskilling Fusiliers and General Reserve Field Artillery to labouring in a steel works in Dalziell. I think this was the militia and he could move in and out. I have him on his own marriage registers in 1988 in Coalisland and as a witness in 1918 and 1922 on sons wedding certificates in Lanarkshire, but cannot trace him on a census in 1901 or 1911 in Ireland or Scotland, and cannot find a relevant death. There are loads of donnellys just not mine. Does anyone know if the army had their own census registers in Northern Ireland and how to access these if they are there? I have looked on various army sites with no luck and am completely stuck. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Brick wall demolition expert!

The Inniskilling Fusiliers have South Africa 1899-1902 (2nd Boer War) on their colours. Could explain your man being missing.

inniskillingsmuseum.com/ (Prefix with https://www. )

Look at battle honours. There is also a person look up which might help.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 06-07-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Url editied - they have a shop

hivesmart2

thanks for that but the problem seems to be that he describes himself as 650 royal inniskillings on a marriage record and the service record i have describes him as mid-ulster RGA (Militia) and later as field artillery special reserve. i think the inniskillings merged a lot this may be a problem and they had a garrison which remained in ireland at macgilligan camp which later became longkesh. I am unable to find any records during this time for his wife or daughter either and I wonder if they were in army barracks there are army records I havent found to date. Should I post all this on the military site.

Jan1954

Rather than duplicate the post, I can move the thread to the Military forum, if you wish?

hivesmart2

thanks that would be helpful