lochris

Default American GIs - Lancashire WW2

Hello there. I'm new to this so not sure whether this is the right forum to be posting in, but I need help tracing my American GI grandfather. I believe his name was George Bishop (or possibly Bischof/Bischoff) and he was stationed on Fleetwood Pier in Lancashire during WW2. Unfortunately, I know very little else about him, due to the circumstances of that period - my grandmother met him, they fell in love, and my dad was an unplanned consequence of this. As far as I know, my grandparents wanted to marry, but as my grandfather was under 21 his parents wouldn't give their permission, so he had to return to America.

I realise all this is a bit vague, and because of that it's going to be difficult tracing him. I just wondered if anyone knew anything about GIs stationed in the Lancashire area during WW2 (particularly Fleetwood, Blackpool etc.) because literally any information would be helpful at this point.

Thanks,

Lora

Procat

PM sent re U.S. WWII Enlistment index on Ancestry.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I count at least 16 Georges on the Ancestry enlistment records of American WW2 personnel whose names are derivatives of Bischoff, but oddly, no man indexed by the name of George Bishop.

On your other thread, you say that you believe he was a Canadian?

Can you tell us exactly what is written on your father's birth certificate regarding the name of his father and any other details on the certificate relating to his father?

Mutley

Have you tried google? It may be a silly question but depending on how you phrase your question, there are various sites that have had success with tracing GIs.

www.
    canadianwarbrides.com/

www.
    theworldatwar.info/gibrides.html

https://
    uswarbrides.com/

are a few of the many sites with experience and information.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Lora has contacted me via private message and explained that since first posting this query, she has received new information that her grandfather was a Canadian soldier.

As such, I am closing this thread and ask anyone who can assist to reply on this new thread.