pipsqueak

Default A big responsibility

I am rapidly becoming the repository of a great proportion of the family archive and as a family historian I'm becoming worried about everything being kept under one roof. I've carefully carried original certificates, letters, photographs, albums and documents in my hand luggage from England to America over several years and now I worry that I have so much that the responsibility is becoming overwhelming. On my most recent visit I was offered a family Bible. I haven't taken it yet because it would require all of my hand-luggage allowance to bring it back to the States, and besides, having gleaned the information from it, I'd rather it stayed with the family in England - unless they really don't want it.

I'm spending my summer trying to get everything into some kind of order. I'm continuing to scan pictures and documents and keep digital copies of everything, but of course, nothing is as precious as the real thing. My husband (who looks at it only as 'stuff') tells me not to worry about it because no-one will die and the world won't end if it's lost in a flood or burnt in a fire. This is true, and believe me, I'm not making a huge issue of it, but my house is being taken over with all of it now.

I find it hard to part with anything at the best of times, so in addition to the paper archive, I have items large and small that belonged to various grandparents, great-grandparents and great aunts and uncles, as well as my own long-deceased parents. Antiques are a matter of taste and are easily bought and sold, but should it matter that my modest antiques actually belonged to my ancestors? The question is, whether I should let go of some of these things and how do I choose? I must also bear in mind that I am in my 50s now and I have no idea how interested my three children will be in keeping any of it once I pop my clogs. I think if I can prune the paper archive and the collection of artifacts down to the essentials, they'll be more likely to take care of it than if they inherited a truckload of 'stuff'. I'm neglecting my own life story - which is probably what my children will be most interested in when I'm gone.

How have others overcome these sorts of problems? I'm keen to hear what you think.

Famous for offering help & advice

I know exactly how you feel, pipsqueak!
    Can't give you any helpful suggestions other than to file everything carefully.. I store alot of our stuff in "tubs" that I can seal. One bedroom is our "old" room as it has antique furniture in it that is from my husband's family and because he doesn't want "old" stuff on display all over the house, I put it all in there! ( Other than the dishes which are in the china cabinet). Some important original papers are stored in a fireproof file box..

Have fun sorting it all out.

Sue

Nicolina

I've been made the next custodian of my father's paternal "family" going back 450 years and have already arranged who will take it over from me. One copy, of everything, will also be donated to Norfolk Record Office so that future generations can benefit from all of the research. Meanwhile a cousin in Kentucky has received copies of everything we've found about Dad's maternal side and is writing a book about them all because I cannot cope with all of that as well.
    My house has been so taken over by it all that I'll soon need to move somewhere bigger.