Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Ferdinand Darrer and Mary Ellen McCusker

This enquiry has possibly been posted somewhere already by A.N.Other, however I can't find it. I'm looking for a marriage between Ferdinand Darrer [born Austria 1871] and Maria McCusker? born Belfast 1880]. I found them on the 1911 census as married 10 years, with 3 living children [out of 5 births] They were married in Belfast. They were R.C.
    I have the info on the 3 living children from Family Search [all born Belfast] and were all R.C as well. I am looking to find information on who Ferdinand's father was and where he may have been born as well as when he arrived in Ireland.

Any ideas on how to proceed would be appreciated

Thanks
    Colin

Knowledgeable and helpful

The marriage certificate should give you Ferdinand's father's name. There is an entry in the BDM indexes for a Ferdinand Darrer who m in Belfast in the last quarter of 1901, which looks promising. There is no matching entry for Maria McCusker, so either her name is not quite accurate or it's not the right marriage. But if you think it is the right marriage, you could order a copy of the certificate. See www.groni.gov.uk on how to obtain copies.

Elwyn

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    The marriage certificate should give you Ferdinand's father's name. There is an entry in the BDM indexes for a Ferdinand Darrer who m in Belfast in the last quarter of 1901, which looks promising. There is no matching entry for Maria McCusker, so either her name is not quite accurate or it's not the right marriage. But if you think it is the right marriage, you could order a copy of the certificate. See www.groni.gov.uk on how to obtain copies.

Elwyn
    Hello Elwyn
    Thank you for the info. I've reviewed the site but cannot find how to locate the indexes. The maiden name McCusker could be wrong as my wife's mother died when my wife was 18 months old.

From the 1911 Irish census, Maria Darrer was living with Ferdinand and their 3 children. In the residence as well, was an unmarried relative, Bella McCusker who was of an age to be Maria's mother, so that is why I've indicated the name "McCusker".

To oder the marriage cert. I apparently need the spouse's maiden name. If I show "McCusker" and it is incorrect, have I lost the 12 quid I've paid?

Cheers
    Colin

v.wells

Colin - take the information from IGI and apply to PRONI for a marriage cert. Give them as much information as you can but leave out the bride's name, since you don't know for sure.

Reputation beyond repute

I've reviewed the site but cannot find how to locate the indexes.
    On the Familysearch/Recordsearch pilot.

https://pilot.familysearch.org/record...c=fs%3A1408347

Shouldn't you get the birth certificate of one of the children first? Otherwise you won't know whether you've got the right marriage.

Famous for offering help & advice

hi
    That marriage is on the Ulster Historical Foundation's free index, spouse's surname McCusker - but not Maria. You can download the full details there (tho I don't know if it is cheaper going via GRONI). The index gives Ferdinand's father's name also as Ferdinand.

I think the cost is around £4 as I remember.

Also from UHF - her name was Mary Ann and her father's first name was Thomas

There is a possibility in the 1901 census There is a Mary McCusker servant at 16 Donegall Place, East Side ( St Anne's Ward , Belfast, Antrim). She seems to be a servant in a hotel run by Emile Weisse. No Ferdinand but a Frederick Denver b Austria. Worth looking at.
    Sorry don't know how to give references for the Irish census

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    Colin - take the information from IGI and apply to PRONI for a marriage cert. Give them as much information as you can but leave out the bride's name, since you don't know for sure.
    Hi Vanessa.
    More info has come since your post. I think I've found the marriage stuff on Irish Family History Foundation site, but cannot find a birth for my wife's mother - Josephine Patricia Darrer born 1919.

I used the IGI [Family Search site] and have all the relevant info but on PRONI I can't find an order form. Do I send an email with all the info which should eliminate the search fee of 15.50 quid, but the I cannot determine what else may be required and how to pay from Canada. Have you ordered anything from them?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    There is a possibility in the 1901 census There is a Mary McCusker servant at 16 Donegall Place, East Side ( St Anne's Ward , Belfast, Antrim). She seems to be a servant in a hotel run by Emile Weisse. No Ferdinand but a Frederick Denver b Austria. Worth looking at.
    Sorry don't know how to give references for the Irish census
    Hi grisel
    Thanks for this as well as post #6 & 7. These, I think, are the right folks [albeit with transcription errors or compilation errors by the person completing the return at the hotel].

Have viewed the IFHF [which I think is aka UHF] have registered but no response to my enquiry as to how to purchase credits. Have you used thi site and bought credits and if so, how?

Cheers
    Colin

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast