Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Do you have the certificate of exemption from Internment - this wold give an address 1939-45
    Reference: HO 396/15/148
    Title: Home Office: Aliens Department: Internees Index: Internees at Liberty in UK (Please note that the people listed in these records may not all be Jewish.)
    Description: Mary Ellen DARRER, Date of Birth: 30-01-1880, Place of Birth: Moira, Co. Down, Northern Ireland
    Date(s): 1939 to 1942
    Community: Jewish Community
    Theme: Settling (experiences of living in England)
    Format: Text
    Access: Available on microfilm at the Public Record Office, Kew.
    download available here :https://movinghere.org.uk/

also is this a relative (from the National Archive) :Registry of Shipping and Seamen: Central Register of Seamen: R620264 DARRER R G P 19/09/1938 BELFAST

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post

We are now seeking information on their deaths We do not know where they were living during the 1930's [and later] but it is possible that it was either in Co. Antrim or Co. Cork.
    I can’t see any likely deaths listed for Cork. Suspect therefore that they may have died in Co. Antrim. Deaths 1922 onwards in Northern Ireland are not on-line anywhere. You need to contact GRONI in Belfast to look them up for you (or go in person).

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro

As it happens I expect to be in GRONI tomorrow, so I’ll have a look for you to see if they are in the indexes. If they are, that’ll at least give you the date and registration district.
    ELWYN

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    Do you have the certificate of exemption from Internment - this wold give an address 1939-45
    Reference: HO 396/15/148
    Title: Home Office: Aliens Department: Internees Index: Internees at Liberty in UK (Please note that the people listed in these records may not all be Jewish.)
    Description: Mary Ellen DARRER, Date of Birth: 30-01-1880, Place of Birth: Moira, Co. Down, Northern Ireland
    Date(s): 1939 to 1942
    Community: Jewish Community
    Theme: Settling (experiences of living in England)
    Format: Text
    Access: Available on microfilm at the Public Record Office, Kew.
    download available here :https://movinghere.org.uk/

also is this a relative (from the National Archive) :Registry of Shipping and Seamen: Central Register of Seamen: R620264 DARRER R G P 19/09/1938 BELFAST
    What a wonderful find, Lesley.

I didn't know such such a record existed. The early information is definitely the right lady and I would love to know more, but how?

As for the 2nd person you mentioned, I don't have an R.G.P. Darrer in the tree. Does the reference - 19/09/1938 BELFAST - shed any light on this person?

Can't make it to Kew personally, but is it possible that others may make efforts on my behalf, to view these documents? I would be forever grateful.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    I can't see any likely deaths listed for Cork. Suspect therefore that they may have died in Co. Antrim. Deaths 1922 onwards in Northern Ireland are not on-line anywhere. You need to contact GRONI in Belfast to look them up for you (or go in person).

As it happens I expect to be in GRONI tomorrow, so I’ll have a look for you to see if they are in the indexes. If they are, that’ll at least give you the date and registration district.
    Hi Elwyn, that is most generous of you.

If nothing shows there, what do you suggest I do next to widen the search paremeters?

Colin

What a wonderful find, Lesley.

I didn't know such such a record existed. The early information is definitely the right lady and I would love to know more, but how?

As for the 2nd person you mentioned, I don't have an R.G.P. Darrer in the tree. Does the reference - 19/09/1938 BELFAST - shed any light on this person?

Can't make it to Kew personally, but is it possible that others may make efforts on my behalf, to view these documents? I would be forever grateful.

Colin
    if you click on the link and in the search box enter Darrer it takes you to the page I quoted then you have the option to download the image of the certificate which does have an address on .

As for the seaman the only way to get more info would be at the National Archive. what I posted is all that the catalogue says

Colin Rowledge

Hi Elwyn, that is most generous of you.

If nothing shows there, what do you suggest I do next to widen the search paremeters?

Colin
    Hi Elwyn.

Just to bring you up to date:

Shortly before/after the outbreak of W.W. 2 she was questioned as a FEMALE ENEMY ALIEN. She was exempted as of 7 November 1939.

Her address - 142 Haypark Ave. Belfast, Northen Ireland

Her occupation - Housewife

Since there is no indictment of her spouse, I have presumed she was widowed at the time.

Is my reasoning logical?

Colin

My grandparents were in a similar situation -. He was German and had been interred in WWI. As by 1939 he was 70, they both had exemption certificates in WW2. So, I suspect if Frederick was still alive he was not living in Belfast.

Colin Rowledge

To bring this thread up to date here are the facts after the end of of W.W. 1:
    1] Ferdinand Darrer was released from Internment and returned to his family at Haypark Cottages, Belfast, Nothern Ireland and resumed his life as a Restaurant Owner.

2] Their 6th child - my wife's mother - was born at Haypark Cottages, Belfast on 20 March 1919.

3] Ferdinand and Mary Ellen Darrer made a visit to Austria arriving 12 August 1921 and returned to northern Ireland 21 September 1921.

4] Mary Ellen was granted Exemption from Internment on 7 November 1939. Her address was 142 Haypark Avenue, Belfast. She was aged 59.

My wife is not certain but has been given to understand the following:

1] Her grandfather was neither interned nor exempted as he was deceased prior to the outbreak of W.W. 2

2] Her grandmother may have died sometime prior to her birth and was given the name Ellen as her middle name in memory of her grandmother.

So what we are now attempting to do is find out details of their deaths - where and when? and also - where are they buried?

Colin

Colin,

Ferdinand Darrer’s death was registered in Newtownards Co Down 11.1.1944. Aged 72. Ref D/1944/196/1024/29/207

Mary Ellen Darrer died 5.5.1943 Belfast aged 63.
    D/1943/57/1007/80/369.

I also noted the death of Joseph Gerard Darrer aged 50 in Belfast 20.3.1964. I assume he may be part of the same family.
    D/1964/70/1007/3/393.

Hopefully that will help you take your research a bit further forward. You can order the certs on-line from GRONI for £15 per cert. They are usually dispatched the following day.

ELWYN

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    Colin,

Ferdinand Darrer’s death was registered in Newtownards Co Down 11.1.1944. Aged 72. Ref D/1944/196/1024/29/207

Mary Ellen Darrer died 5.5.1943 Belfast aged 63.
    D/1943/57/1007/80/369.

I also noted the death of Joseph Gerard Darrer aged 50 in Belfast 20.3.1964. I assume he may be part of the same family.
    D/1964/70/1007/3/393.

Hopefully that will help you take your research a bit further forward. You can order the certs on-line from GRONI for £15 per cert. They are usually dispatched the following day.

Thanks Elwyn

This pretty much closes the book on Ferdinand. If you [or others] need to know why - please add to this thread.

His wife is a different kettle of fish.

Colin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast