Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Have spent some time [after the 1911 census] trying to find death of Ferdinand and Mary Ann, but with no luck. Are records incomplete after the 1920's online? If so, how do we find them -- IGI Family Search hasn't helped as yet [but then I could be in the wrong Index] and FreeBMD for England and Wales has nothing, so I assume they both died in Ireland.

Thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

Colin - if it's not too late, you might want to order the marriage certificate from the General Register Office of the Republic of Ireland. They can supply copies of civil registration entries for the whole of Ireland before 1922, when the island was divided into Northern Ireland and the Republic. The advantage of ordering from them is that they offer a cheaper alternative - an uncertified copy from the register rather than a full-blown certificate.

The partition in 1922 may be why you are having difficulty finding deaths: I'm not fully up to speed on which sites contain what, but if they died after that in the north, they won't appear on sites based solely on the Republic's indexes. There are quite a lot of sites with Irish data and indexes, so I easily get confused, but I'm pretty sure I did once find one with the post-1922 NI ones - possibly Emerald Ancestors?

Arthur
    Last edited by arthurk; 28-06-2010 at 6:53 PM. Reason: word omitted

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Colin

Have viewed the IFHF [which I think is aka UHF] have registered but no response to my enquiry as to how to purchase credits. Have you used thi site and bought credits and if so, how?

I used the site some time ago. I registered with the UHF itself (not with the IHF) and bought credits to download a birth and a marriage which I had found in their index. I think the UHF is independent but affiliated to the IHF, but mainly covers Antrim and Down. If you visit the UHF site directly you can do the free search without any logging in at all, but if you visit it via IHF you seem to have to log in first. It is a bit confusing!

Sorry I've not ordered anything from GRONI so can't help there.

Colin Rowledge

Well, folks, I've ordered my 1st certificate which, if found, will cost 12 Euro's - including postage. If found, it will be sent in 5 working days, so apparently similar to GRO.

It was the birth certificate for Josephine Patricia Darrer - my wife's mother.

Now to wait and see what happens

Colin Rowledge

Well, folks, the certificate arrived. As noted, it was ordered June 29, issued July 1 and received July 8. Similarly another ordered from the GRO was ordered June 24, issued June 28 and received July 8. All in all a successful attempt.

Now to order the marriage certificate for Ferdinand and Mary Ann.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

[QUOTE=Colin Rowledge;412770

Colin[/QUOTE]

If only I could remember where the site was that had the on-line order form!!!

Colin Rowledge

Does anyone know where I might be able to find references to BMD's in Ireland after 1920?. The Irish Family History Foundation [IFHF] indicates on their website that very few records remain after 1920. I have found on the Family Search - Ireland Civil Registration Indeses 1845-1958 all the reference info. for a marriage but no spouse. I know that one of the children was born in 1946 and from the same index, have determined a mother's maiden name, but would really like to have details of the marriage.

Is this possible?

AmandaDarrer

Default Family Connection

Hi Colin, I have just come accross this thread as i am also researching Ferdinand Darrer. He was my great great grandfather. It looks as though you have stoped posting here but I hope you get notification as I would love to speak to you about him and our family history. Amanda.

Colin Rowledge

Hi Amanda - I have sent you 2 private messages. Hope to hear from you soon

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Default My wife wants me to spend time on her tree

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    Well, folks, the certificate arrived. As noted, it was ordered June 29, issued July 1 and received July 8. Similarly another ordered from the GRO was ordered June 24, issued June 28 and received July 8. All in all a successful attempt.

Colin
    A long time ago I got the marriage certificate which provided some useful stuff. Ferdinand married Mary Ellen on 25 December 1901 in the Belfact R.C. church. Her father was Thomas.

My wife's middle name is Ellen [after her grandmother].

Mary Ellen was baptised - sadly no date of baptism was on the index - but it confirmed her date of birth - 30 January 1880. Parents were Thomas and Matilda - formely Devlin. I would love to find the date of baptism.

Between the time of their marriage and the outbreak of World War 1 they had 5 children. 1 died shortly after birth [1904]. During the conflict, Ferdinand - being Austrian - was interned in a camp on the Isle of Man.

After his release - a daughter was born 20 March 1919. This daughter is my wife's mother. She mariied 22 December 1938. She died 9 November 1949 in Wales.

We know that at the outbreak of World War 2, May Ellen was widow. Some time before his death Ferdinand and Mary Ellen took a trip to Austria but we don't know exactly when or why. As a result of this trip and her status as widow of an Austrian, she was considered for internment during this particular war. Later at a hearing she was deemed to be of no risk and allowed to remain in the community.

We are now seeking information on their deaths We do not know where they were living during the 1930's [and later] but it is possible that it was either in Co. Antrim or Co. Cork.

Appreciate any help

Colin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast