British Viking

Default Which newspaper(s)?

Within the remit of the City of London police area which local newspaper(s) would have reported events such as court cases etc.

Just thought as two of my relatives were police officers within the CoL police, if ever(!) I had any spare time I could browse through the local papers to see if their names cropped up anywhere i.e. court cases, etc.

Geoffers

You can search the British Library newspaper catalogue by place name to come up with a list of newspapers. Whether or not you find a record and where to look depends on what their job was within the police - were they shift officers, CID, Coroner's Officers, did they just work in the police station?

Colin Moretti

Have you tried the Old Bailey Online? The site covers cases up to 1913 and often records police officers giving evidence.

Colin

British Viking

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Moretti View Post
    Have you tried the Old Bailey Online? The site covers cases up to 1913 and often records police officers giving evidence.

Colin
    Sorry for disgusting delay in responding (actually forgot about this post and just seen it!)

My 2 relatives served with the City of London police during years 1920-1946 and 1931-1963....any hope?

Tinker

Hello British Viking!
    You may already know about this: the C of L Police Records Office holds registers listing every member of the force since warrant numbers were introduced on 9th April 1832. If you write to the Museum Curator, City of London Police, at 37 Wood Street, London, EC2P 2NQ, you may be able to get some info on your rellies and if you have already done that at some point, then try asking them if they can tell you where to look for the relevant newspaper reports. Being as you're local, you may even be able ring them and have a chat to someone who can help with your query.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I think you'll find that City of London Police personnel records are at London Metropolitan Archives (CLA/048/AD) with a 75 year closure rule.

Tinker

Ah, thanks for putting us straight, Kerrywood. I got my info off the C of L website, so obviously things have changed since then!

PSzelewski52

You could try the Evening Standard