apowell

Default Hms Caman ? 1941

Hi,

I have my Great Uncle's service records and have been able to trace all his postings except this one:

Ships in which serving: from HMS Paris 9th Aug 1941 To HMS Caman 9th Aug 1941

HMS Paris was a UK Depot base of the Royal Navy Patrol Service but for the life of me I can't find any mention of HMS Caman. I've posted on the Harry Tate Website that is dedicated to the RNPS but with no luck

I'm wondering if the Caman could be connected to the Cayman Islands because I know he went on to serve on Motor Launch Boats based in Trinadad & Tabago where he sadly died of illness in 1943.

Any ideas ?

Regards
    Adrian

Reputation beyond repute

HMS Cayman? No too early, Cayman was launched in 1943. The Navy List should have the answer for you.

malcolm99

It does look as though ‘Caman’ is incorrect in some way. I’d like to ask you to re-check the document(s) you have but I expect you’ve already triple-checked the wording!

I suspect there are no copies of WW2 Navy Lists within 50 (250?) miles of Helsinki and there doesn’t seem to be a copy of Colledge’s ‘Ships of the Royal Navy’ in a library near you.

I’ll have a dig around on Monday to see if I can turn anything up (don’t hold your breath!) - unless someone can come up with something before then.

malcolm99

apowell

Hi,

Many thanks for your replys.

I've checked and checked the spelling and I'm 100% sure of the spelling 'Caman' and the writting is neat and completed in capitals which doesn't seem to leave much room for error. I did like Peter trace HMS Cayman which got me excited until I found out it wasn't launched until after my Grt' Uncles death.

I've posted a request on the Harry Tates forum site with no luck so I'm sure' Caman' can't be correct because someone would have replied.

You're spot on Malcolm stuck here in Helsinki I have no access to any reference data which is really frustrating because it's only since living here that I've developed a interest in tracing my family.

I've no idea to be honest and from the records my Grt' Uncle was stationed at or on 'Caman' for a couple of years.

Kind regards
    Adrian

malcolm99

Hello Adrian

No luck I’m afraid. Unfortunately I didn’t have access to a WW2 Navy List (the closest I could check was 1951). Anyway, I had a really good rummage around in several other resources as well (including what is supposed to be a list of every tiny vessel used by the RN in WW2) and in the end came up with not just nothing, but nothing resembling Caman, not even an acronym.

I suppose it may well be correct but for the moment it’s defeated me.

KBO

malcolm99

apowell

Hello Malcolm,

Many thanks for your help and I think this Caman entry must have been written in error and it maybe one of those that proves impossible to work out.

Kind regards
    Adrian