littlemisskim

Default Criminal Registers after 1892

This has probably been asked before, but my searches didn't find anything.

What about criminal registers after 1892?

My GG grandad was in a prison in Maidstone, Kent for the 1911 census (he came from Lancashire).

Is it too early to look at this? Or would it be at the country archives?

Thanks in advance for any replies, Kim

Jan1954

Hello Kim,

Have you had a read of this TNA Research Guide?

v.wells

I believe he would be counted in the 1911 census. (I could be wrong and someone will correct me).

He could just be recorded by his initials, so you will have to alter your search terms. Can you provide a name and place of birth/date of birth and then we can go on the hunt

littlemisskim

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hello Kim,

Have you had a read of this TNA Research Guide?
    I've just had a look now but it's still not making much sense. It says criminal records from after 1878 are more likely to be found locally - but how do I find out for certain where the right items are, before I drive across the country? Just done a search on the Lancashire Archives website, and that's not helped!

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    I believe he would be counted in the 1911 census. (I could be wrong and someone will correct me).

He could just be recorded by his initials, so you will have to alter your search terms. Can you provide a name and place of birth/date of birth and then we can go on the hunt
    I've found him in the 1911 census. His name is Henry James Cross, born in about 1865 +/-1 and born in Inskip, Lancashire. He's in a prison in Maidstone, Kent.

Jan1954

Hello again,

In your other thread, you have said that you knew that his wife died in 1909. Do you have that death certificate? If so, where does it say she was living at the time - and what does it give as her occupation? The latter should say something along the lines of, "Wife of Henry James Cross, [Henry's occupation]"

If we can nail down where they were living, it may provide a better clue as to where to look for a trial/conviction.

littlemisskim

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hello again,

In your other thread, you have said that you knew that his wife died in 1909. Do you have that death certificate? If so, where does it say she was living at the time - and what does it give as her occupation? The latter should say something along the lines of, "Wife of Henry James Cross, [Henry's occupation]"

If we can nail down where they were living, it may provide a better clue as to where to look for a trial/conviction.
    No I don't. I need to order some certificates anyway, so I'll put it on the list!

Give me a week!