Thread: HOME GUARD

Andradan

Default HOME GUARD

My grandfather James McEwan was a sergeant in the home guard in lanarkshire Scotland during the war. In 1943 he was injured and died as a result of these while on maneuvers with the regular army. He was buried with full military honours in Cambusnethan Lanarkshire.
    My question is would there have been an inquest and if so where would I be likely to find the records

malcolm99

North Lanarkshire Public Libraries hold the following newspapers which cover January 1943 and which may have a report of James McEwan’s death.

Airdrie and Coatbridge Advertiser 1855-present
    Bellshill Speaker 1898-present
    Coatbridge Express 1885-1951
    Coatbridge Leader 1905-1955
    Motherwell Times 1883-present
    Wishaw Press 1873-present

It’s not clear whether they are held at Motherwell or Airdrie Libraries. I’d send them an email and ask. You could even try Bellshill Family History Centre as they seem to have trained staff for Family History.

Contact details for these places can be found on this page: https://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/i...rticleid=16514

I’m no expert, but they don’t have coroners inquests in Scotland but have ‘Fatal Accident Inquiries’ instead: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_accident_inquiry - I’d ask the question about these records when you contact one of the libraries.

Hope this helps a bit.

malcolm99

Andradan

Thanks Malcolm

It helps a lot. I have the clippings from the Wishaw Press concerning my granfathers death and the funeral which gives me a lot of information, but nowhere does it mention an inquiry. Thanks for giving me the info about the fatal accident enquiry, I knew that Scotland didn't have coroners inquests as the Procurator Fiscal deals with all that. But for the life of me I couldn't recall what it was be called in Scotland.
    I thought I would cut to the chase and have just sent an e-mail to the Procurator Fiscal's office asking where the records could be seen.

thanks again

Andradan