Richard Miller

Smile HMS Essex - Battle of Quiberon Bay 1759

Hi Folks

I am trying to find out a little more about John Duncan who was the Master on board HMS Essex at the time of the Battle of Quiberon Bay.

All I know so far is that the Commander of HMS Essex was Lucius O'Brien

HMS Essex was wrecked on the Four Shoal in 1759, eighty years after she was first launched, while chasing the French flagship Soleil Royale after the Battle of Quiberon Bay. At the time of the battle she had 65 Guns and was about 480 tons.

I believe that Commander Lucius O'Brien was involved in a Court Martial after the loss of his ship.

Any help to find out more about John Duncan the Master of HMS Essex would be gratefully appreciated.

Best wishes

Richard

There was a query about this man posted on the Clan Duncan forum on Monday 21 Dec 2009
    clan-duncan.co.uk/CDSforum/viewforum.php?f=5 (put https:// but not www in front)

I believe the Daryl Coupe mentioned in the second post is a member of B-G
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Miller
    I am trying to find out a little more about John Duncan who was the Master on board HMS Essex at the time of the Battle of Quiberon Bay.
    Have you tried The National Archives? Possible sources include

Ships' musters in ADM36

Captains' Logs

Do you know when your chap died? - Did he leave a will? (Wills may be in other locations)

This TNA research guide may give some ideas of others records to try (Disability pensions, widows pensions, in-pensions?)

Richard Miller

Hi Sue and Geoffers

Thanks for your replies. I believe that John Duncan was a non conformist and that he died in 1764. In his will (I have a copy from the National Archives) he is described as a Widower and formerly Master of his majesty's ship Essex and late of Sandwich, Kent.

Regards

Richard

Richard Miller

Hi Sue and Geoffers

I meant to say that the original will was drawn up in 01 Feb 1762 in Southampton, and amended on 10 Dec 1764 naming his daughter Jane Miller (nee Duncan as the administrator of the will) after the death of John Duncan's wife Jane . So I guess John Duncan died at some point between these 2 dates most likely in Sandwich in Kent.

Regards

Richard

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Miller View Post
    Hi Sue and Geoffers

I meant to say that the original will was drawn up in 01 Feb 1762 in Southampton, and amended on 10 Dec 1764 naming his daughter Jane Miller (nee Duncan as the administrator of the will) after the death of John Duncan's wife Jane . So I guess John Duncan died at some point between these 2 dates most likely in Sandwich in Kent.

Regards

Richard
    My naval ancestor made two wills, one is online from TNA, an early one made when he was serving onboard his ship. It was a pre printed one, made I think on the encouragement of the Navy at the time...........made life easier for them if he were to die in battle. His later will, more extensive, was made after he had ceased his service in the Royal Navy. About the same time as your man. It might be worth looking for another will, I found another ship that he was sailing on.

Anne

AnnieB5051

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Miller View Post
    I believe that Commander Lucius O'Brien was involved in a Court Martial after the loss of his ship.
    There should be a record of any Court Martial in the National Archive - the research guide on Ships Wrecked or Sunk gives details of which series you need to look at. I found the record for a court martial in 1811 interesting reading - if a little dry at times. All losses of RN ships were subject to a court martial of the Captain, and sometimes the officers also.

Anne