Question Tower Ward Baton

Our family has an old wooden baton 58 cm long and 10 cm in circumference.
    It is painted with a large G R on the top of a crown. Below that is the shield of,I think, King George 4th. Below that is a white shield in quarters with a red sword (possibly)in the top left quarter. This could be the shield of the city of London. At the bottom are the large words TOWER WARD. Does any one know why my ancestor would have had this baton please.
    One of our family was Thomas Fisher ,a Kings Messenger 1763-1827.
    Thank you from Eleanor in Sydney.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor
    Our family has an old wooden baton 58 cm long and 10 cm in circumference. It is painted with a large G R on the top of a crown. Below that is the shield of,I think, King George 4th. Below that is a white shield in quarters with a red sword (possibly)in the top left quarter. This could be the shield of the city of London. At the bottom are the large words TOWER WARD. Does any one know why my ancestor would have had this baton please. One of our family was Thomas Fisher ,a Kings Messenger 1763-1827.
    Your description sounds like a tipstaff - a sort of badge of office.

Geoffers

Question Baton,Tower Ward

Thank you Geoffers,
    It is truncheon shaped as there is a more slim handle part with a hole through
    for a piece of string or rope.
    Eleanor.

mitapogue

Smile Tyler/Morton 1784 marriage at St. Luke's, London with 7 birth records

I posted this in another thread but thought I should post it in the period thread as well. If it is not pertinent to this thread fell free to delete it. Thanks! Mita

I purchased an antiquarian book (Richard Allestree - The Government if the Tongue - circa 1674) a couple of years ago and written in it is the family history of the Tyler/Morton family and the birthdates and times of their 7 children, as well as some additional names. I obtained the book from someone who lived in the Northeast of the United States and assume the book came over with the family when they or their children may have immigrated here. I felt if someone was looking for family history for this family this could be the only record of it....

I am very interested in finding out more about them and also the place they were married, which was Saint Luke's Chapel in London, England. I can find no substantial information about this place or it's location and am wondering if it is still in existence today, and would love to see a picture of it if anyone has one.

The family geneology is as follows:

William Tyler & Catherine Morton
    Married in St. Luke's Chapel London
    Married the 22nd of February in
    the Year of our Lord 1784
    ----------------------------
    William Nowlan Tyler born
    November the 8th 1784, att five
    O'Clock morning
    ----------------------------
    Catherine Nowlan Tyler born
    Oct 22nd, 1786 at 10 O'Clock at night
    (perhaps Nowlan is another family name, maybe a grandparent or other relative's name)
    --------------------------------
    Margaret Tyler born January
    20th between 9 and 10 O'Clock morning
    ---------------------------------
    Samuel Edward Tyler born
    April 20th, 1791
    Susannah Tyler born April 11th, 1793
    Died Sept 8th, 1793 aged 5 months
    Susannah Tyler born Augt 25th, 1794
    at 5 O'Clock morning
    --------------------------------
    Richard Emory Tyler, born Augt 20th, 1796 at
    10 O'Clock at night

Other names written elsewhere in book include Jinat Andrews (1758), Mary Scott, & George Miller (Taylor)

I can send photocopies of this written information to whomever needs it for geneological or historical purposes.

Thanks! Mita