Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mariah

Default JEFFREY ancestors possibly Jewish?

I hope this is the right forum to ask this question. A Jewish friend commented that my great-grandmother's name Naomi Jeffrey, from Hatton Lincolnshire, sounded Jewish to her. I had thought that the fact that her parents and brothers and sisters had Biblical names was just the fashion of the day. Now I find that her mother's maiden name was Leigh which is a Jewish friend's surname. This, coupled with the fact that my grandmother's most prized possessions were 2 very old volumes written by Flavius Josephus makes me wonder if there could be Jewish roots. It is of particular interest to me as my first husband was Jewish.

Is there any way in which I could check on this possibility?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The best way to find out is to research the family in the standard way, with BMD certificates supported by census returns, where available. Any Jewish origins are likely to emerge of their own accord in the course of your research.

georgiep

Hi can you give us a time frame please?
    Cheers

Nicolina

my JARVIS family were definitely not Jewish but Methodists. Also about biblical names, just think of all the Christian names you know that are mentioned somewhere in the Bible. James. John. Sarah, Ruth etc.
    You could try looking for baptism records for pointers as to whether your ancestors were Jewish or not.

mariah

Thanks for all that. I agree re it being common to have Biblical Christian names. Have not found baptisms but have only searched a few free online resources. Think I will have to do as suggested and request marriage certs rather than hoping to find something online. The timeframe would be pre 1850.

georgiep

Hi everyone
    I found Naomi 3yrs & family in 1861. I've found nothing in IGI baptisms for any of the children or the marriage of Benjamin (50)
    His father John 77 is also listed. There's a baptism Middle Rasen Tupholme for Benj father John 1811 no church listed.
    Perhaps if you have a familysearch centre near you, you could check out the film?
    Interesting in 1861 census their address is "next to the church".....
    Georgiep

Mariah, I just tried Naomi Jeffrey in pilot.familysearch.org/ & no such name came up, several Jeffreys tho', & there are also many 'Leigh' names there. If you tried just the Surname with dates you want (I did 1800- 1850) you may find one you or your friend recognise, with the Christening place which shows when you hover your mouse on the name.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

If the 1861 census familiy that georgie found is the correct family, then you would do well to invest in the marriage certificate for

June qtr 1845 Louth Vol 14 page 889

Benjamin JEFFREY and Sarah LEIGH appear on the same page
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    June qtr 1845 Louth Vol 14 page 889
    Benjamin JEFFREY and Sarah LEIGH appear on the same page
    The Lincolnshire Marriage Index post 1837 is online here, an ongoing project.

This shows the marriage on 1 April 1845 of Benjamin JEFFREY (father William) and Mary Ann ASKEY (father Charles), at St James, Louth. Sarah LEIGH apparently married Henry CROFT. Sorry.

Some parishes in Horncastle registration district are also covered here and might be worth a look.

Further information on Naomi's JEFFREY family has been posted on Mariah's other thread.

To avoid duplication, it's probably best if general posts are made on that thread, keeping this thread for any discussion of possible Jewish origins for Naomi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast