Thread: The Foy Family

holliegavin

Default The Foy Family

I'm desperately trying to find out more about the Foy family!

I am a Foy and although in touch with my Grandparents, they have very little information which they are prepared to share. I get the impression that there is some sore points in relation to this family that they are not happy to talk about.

In respect of their wishes I am hoping to find some more information online. All I have is this, and I'm not 100% sure this is accurate.

My Grandfather, R. Foy - born 1925 in Wokingham Berkshire
    I believe his Father was called Isidore Foy - born 1885 also in Wokingham, Berkshire, who married an Annie H Lawrence.

For R's siblings I understand there was also a daughter (possibly called Doris) and another Son at least , however I am struggling to find anything on this. Looking on cenus records there may have been a son called S. C. Foy, but I can not confirm this with my Grandfather.

From there, I think that Isidore's Father may have come from Ireland and called William. Again, this all rather vague so I don't know how much luck I will have finding anything.

If anyone knows of or is a Foy then I would welcome contact.
    Last edited by MarkJ; 08-06-2010 at 1:54 PM. Reason: details of (potentially) living persons edited

Reputation beyond repute

Just stick to straightforward genealogy. It really doesn't matter if grandparents can't or won't help. All you need to be sure about to start off is who you are. Just work systematically backwards generation by generation gathering the necessary evidence as you go.

Let's assume that you already have evidence (genealogical evidence is documentary evidence) that your grandfather is as you stated. Obtain his birth certificate which will show his parents' names. Obtain their marriage certificate and carry on the same way tracking the family back in time.

If you're talking about a birth in 1925, you should find the parents on the 1911 census and then it should be plain sailing back to early Victorian times - unless they really did come from Ireland but that's a problem to be dealt with if and when you hit it.

Reputation beyond repute

By the way a quick glance at the indexes and censuses suggests that ancestors were in Walmer in the 1850s. No sign of Ireland yet!

A moderator may fancy moving this thread from One Name Studies to say, General Family History.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Holliegavin, I've moved your thread to the Berkshire forum. The One Name Studies forum is intended for members doing large-scale surveys of one particular surname. I'm sure someone will be able to help you here.