Mutley

Default RAF - Manchester - 1945

This photo is of Thomas Davies born in Tipperary, Ireland in 1927.

He joined the RAF in Manchester on 15 August 1945. I should think the photo was taken about that time.

Is it possible to find out anymore about him?

Hi Mutley

It all depends on whether you have his service number and exactly what information you require.

This post gives you link to RAF records, failing that I have the form saved to my desktop (must fill it out to get mine)

Mutley

Unfortunately, I do not have a service number.

I would like to know anything about him really and also what happened to him. He was my uncle and I believe he died in the 1950s somewhere in England.

As far as I know they will only release the service records for personnel after 1922 to official next of kin.

Just looked at the form again, I would say without his service number and death certificate there isn't much you could get from the RAF records.

P.S. just printing the form off for my records.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    Just looked at the form again, I would say without his service number and death certificate there isn't much you could get from the RAF records.
    His parents and siblings are long gone, all I have is his birth, the photo and an entry in my mum's diary to say he had come from Ireland to join up and she hoped he was not homesick. She sent him 10 shillings!

Oh well, it was a long shot anyway, thanks.

This to me sounds like you can claim to be his only living 'next of kin'?

If this is the case, you can apply for his records, it does say 'If service number and details are known, please quote' and there is a £30 charge. See here

You may need to draw your tree up and have all the proof seen by a solicitor to verify that you are his next of kin (or be ready if you have to).
    Good luck

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Just an idea, the RAF were based at Ringway, now Manchester internatioanl Airport ( MIA) if you google you may get a lead!

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Wilson View Post
    This to me sounds like you can claim to be his only living 'next of kin'?

If this is the case, you can apply for his records, it does say 'If service number and details are known, please quote' and there is a £30 charge. See here

You may need to draw your tree up and have all the proof seen by a solicitor to verify that you are his next of kin (or be ready if you have to).
    Good luck
    All seems a bit complicated seeing as I cannot really verify it for sure. I have a feeling he may have married in the late 1940s early 1950s and if he did and had children, then they or their children would be next of kin.

I know, and can prove, he was my uncle but not that he did not have any children. |sigh| It is his dad I really want to know about and was hoping a sideways move might give me a clue.

Thanks geneius, I'll try google, one never knows.