Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cordelia

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    given that in 1891 Joseph is 49, his birth date (1841-2) also seems to be later than originally quoted.
    The most likely baptism (from Cornwall opc site) is:
    5 Sep 1841 at Lostwithiel to Joseph and Mary of Rose-Hill.
    There is a marriage at nearby Lanlivery 2 Mar 1841 of Joseph Phillips to Mary Jewell. his father is Peter , her father Thomas
    Joseph son of Peter and Ann was bapt 12 Sept 1813
    And a burial 21 Nov 1893 at Lostwithiel of Joseph age 80 of Bodmin Hill, .
    Mary Jewell baptised 2 Jan 1814 at Cardinham d of Thomas & Mary Ann.

Joseph & Mary can be found in censuses from 1851 to 1891 and she gives her place of birth as Cardinham.
    other children apart from Joseph (1842) are:
    Robert 1844
    Mary Ann 1850
    Ellen
    Eliza Jane
    I didnt make a note of the birth dates of the last two

margreen

Thank you so much for your help. Cordelia Seymour etc. definitely the line I needed. Her daughter Selina married my uncle and went to Australia 1912.
    I had noticed the name Seymour added to many names in the family tree - now I know where it came from and confirms you have it right! I have been able to find the cottage Cordelia and Joseph, with Selina, lived in just outside Loswithiel at Silver Lake - the relatives in Australia have a book presented to Selina when small by St. winnow church. I can now fill in so much more. I really appreciate your immense help. Thank you again, Margreen

PamelaGriffiths

You have the marriage of Elizabeth H HICK and Thomas SEYMOUR in 1863. Elizabeth's father was Henry Williams HICK (indexed in Parish Clerks as Mary Williams!). Her father Henry W HICK is the brother of my HICK ancestor. I don't know how this marriage in 1863 fits with a 1861 Census entry.
    I thought you might like to know that Elizabeth & Thomas SEYMOUR were in Nevada, USA, by 1870, and were living in Virginia City, Storey County, Nevada, in the 1880 Census. Thomas SEYMOUR died sometime prior to 1887, when Elizabeth remarried in Virginia City.

Jeffphillips

Cordelia M. Seymour and Joseph Phillips are my great-grandparents. per Ancestry.com, I have
    Joseph Phillips, B: 1842 Lostwithiel, Cornwall, England, M: Dec 1870, Liskeard, Cornwall, England, D: Jun 1901 Bodmin, Cornwall, England

Cordelia Maira Seymour, B: abt 1845, St Melon, Cornwall, England, M: Dec 1870 Liskeard, Cornwall, England, D: Dec 1901 Bodmin, Cornwall, England

Their daughter Selina Jane H Phillips (Ellyatt), B: Jan 1884, St Winnow, Cornwall, England, D: 1959, Islington, New South Wales, Australia is my grandfather's (Thomas Seymour Phillips) sister. My grandfather passed in May 1954 in Bayonne, New Jersey, Hudson County, New Jersey, USA.

I hope that this helps. Best regards.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by margreen View Post
    Joseph Phillips born 1833 was married to Cordelia born 1838 in Callington, Cornwall. I can find no mention of their marriage so cannot find her pre marriage surname, and therefore cannot trace her birth in Callington. How do I go about finding this please? They are mentioned on the 1901 Census and had a daughter Selina born 1884. Selina went to Australia 1912 and her family there are now trying to trace further back in her family line. I live in Cornwall and want to help. Margreen.

margreen

I am in contact with descendants of Selina Phillips, who married Tom Ellyatt and went to Australia 1910. This means that JeffPhillips and they, share the same grandparents. I have photos of the cottage that Selena and her brothers and sisters ! grew up in, in Lostwithiel, Cornwall, even visited it, and the school they attended.! Margreen. Cornwall. England.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12