Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    redclover

Default John Darcy - Fethard

Hi,

I am looking for any information on the Darcy (Darcey) family living at Fethard in the 1820's.

I have the army service records for my wife's great grandfather John Darcy. These show him as being born at Fethard, Tipperary in 1826. He enlisted in 1847 into the 47th Foot Regiment. He married Deborah Boocock in 1863 at Preston, Lancashire. His marriage cert gives his father as John Darcy, Farmer.
    I have also found a birth on the IGI for James Connors, son of Peter Connors and Anne Darcy of Fethard in 1868. I wonder if Anne could have been sister to John darcy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Richard.

locallad27

Tipperary Genealogy has a few mention's of D' Arcy and worth a look.
    Cormack Petitions signatures; James D' Arcy

Petty Jurors; Michael D' Arcy 1846; Leaseholder, Coleman districy.

Register of Killusty cemetery; John D ' Arcy, Fetherd, 052-9153366

redclover

Default John Darcy - Fethard.

Hi Locallad,

Thanks for those suggestions.

I'll check them out and let you know how I get on.

Richard.

locallad27

Bits that might be of interest;
    The Argus Nov 1870; (Australia)
    15, Arden st Hotham, Mr James Darcy, 41, Tipperary Ireland

1872;
    St Patricks chapel, by Rev. Father O Sulivan, John Darcy, oldest son of
    James Darcy, Tipperary Ireland, to Mary Ann Louise
    eldest dtr of Edward O Brien County Clare Ireland

Jack

redclover

Default Darcy Family.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for those suggestions. I will add them to the information I have and see if I can work out any connections.

I have been kept busy by a stroke of luck in August. My wife's cousin came for a visit and brought a letter, ten years old, that she had found in her mother's wardrobe. Apparently the mother had received the letter from a Rodney, who is married to a distant cousin of my wife's, and she is the great grand daughter of John Darcy.
    I managed to get in touch with Rodney who has researched the Darcy family for 14 years. He admits to a limited education, can't type and doesn't know how to use a computer, but despite these setbacks, he has accumalated a mass of information on the family just by dint of legwork, visiting libraries and wirting letters all over the world, He made a visit to Fethard and spoke to some Darcy relatives. He also suffered many rejections and was on the point off giving up when I contacted him. He is now back on the trail.

He told me that our John Darcy was born at Killusty in 1825, had at least eight siblings. His father was John Darcy (b. 1808 Killusty) and mother was Catherine Leahy (b. 1796 Cashel).This John had two brothers, James and Patrick. Their father was Thomas Darcy and mother was Mary Fogarty.

He also supplied me we information about great aunts in Fall River, Masachusetts, great Uncles in England, a distant cousin in England who became a professional footballer at Swindon.

Looking into this lot has kept me busy.

I will now check if any of the details you have given me fit into the family tree.

Thanks for your help.

Richard.
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 17-02-2012 at 7:42 AM. Reason: Edited details of living person

kpjoc09

I have just come off the phone with Rodney who, as you say, does not use the internet. He has just given me a run down on my mother's family tree ( Darcys from Killusty, Fethard, Tipperary). He prompted me to do a search and I found this thread. Do you have any feedback that I can pass on to him, I wonder?

Kevin
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 17-02-2012 at 7:43 AM. Reason: Edited details of living person. Please see our Terms of Service

redclover

Default Darcy Family

Hi Kevin,

Your post was a timely reminder that it is ages since I contacted Rodney.

Other areas of research have kept me busy recently but I will take another look at the Darcy Family and contact Rodney.

I have sent you a private message with my e-mail addresss. Perhaps you could get in touch.

Richard.

Joanie123

Hi...I just joined to comment on this thread. I am a Darcy from your same line and am from the line of great aunts from Fall River, Mass. I am on ancestry.com and have stopped at Thomas Darcy from Tipperary. What a fascinating thread I found here by just googling his name. I hope one of you responds. I see that you last commented in 2012 so, that was quite some time ago. Hope to hear something. Joan

redclover

Default Darcy Family.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie123 View Post
    Hi...I just joined to comment on this thread. I am a Darcy from your same line and am from the line of great aunts from Fall River, Mass. I am on ancestry.com and have stopped at Thomas Darcy from Tipperary. What a fascinating thread I found here by just googling his name. I hope one of you responds. I see that you last commented in 2012 so, that was quite some time ago. Hope to hear something. Joan
    Hi,

Although it's a while since I did further research on the Darcy Family, I have a large amount of information that might be of interest to you. I will post you a private message later today enclosing our e-mail address.

Regards.

Richard.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default James and his son John Darcy in Killusty

Quote Originally Posted by redclover View Post
    Hi,

Although it's a while since I did further research on the Darcy Family, I have a large amount of information that might be of interest to you. I will post you a private message later today enclosing our e-mail address.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi,

I hope my post reaches you.I have recently begun looking into my family connections in Fethard and my search into the Darcy family was just hitting a wall when I discovered your thread.

I am the great, great, great granddaughter of James Darcy a farmer from Cappadrummin, Killusty South,Fethard Co. Tipperary. I am the great great granddaughter of James's daughter Johanna Corr.

Other from a small reference to James's son John Darcy, who lived and worked on the family farm in Cappadrummin, I can't seem to find any further information regarding James and the Darcy family.
    I'm wondering if there is a possibility that we are all the one Darcys?

If anyone could provide further insight on the Darcy's in Killusty I'd really appreciate it.

Kind reagards,
    Fiona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast