Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edward Wiles

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Edward Wiles

Can anyone find an Edward Wiles born wisbech about 1836 married Emma Field 12 June 1859 at Bushey Hertfordshire where Emma was born. On the 1861 census they are recorded as having a son who is one years old and Edward's brother. William aged 15 is at the house. Then nothing i can't seem to find them on any other census. I've looked so long i wonder if it's a case of can't see the wood for trees. I would be pleased if someone could have a look for Edward and Emma.
    Thanks
    Susan

Mutley

I cannot find them, sorry.

Could Edward have died and Emma remarried. There is a death at Croydon, Surrey for an Edward Wiles in June 1866. He is 31, so about the right age.

colashbury

Prob is though. Where are the rest of em. Tried searchin for kids as well....

colashbury

There Son is William and 11 years of age by the way, not 1. He was born in Balham.....Colin

Mutley

The son William could be entered under the name of a step father. There are a few possibilities for the brother William (also allowing for other spellings).

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by notanotherminer View Post
    It's a distinct possibility. The problem is between 1862 and 1869 there are 7 marriages shown for an Emma Wiles
    I agree that the original says 1 year. The stroke that makes it look like 11 is an enumerators mark.
    Funny that one of those marriages for an Emma Wiles might be to a Field, her maiden name.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

In 1871 young William has become Edward and is with his grandparents James and Charlotte FIELD, living Paddock Road, Bushey, Hertfordshire. Transcribed on FMP as WILLS, but the original clearly says WILES, born Balham, Surrey.

I couldn't see a birth for a William WILES at the right time, but there is one on FreeBMD for an Edward WILES (March Q 1860, Wandsworth).

Census ref: RG10/1380/181/28 (record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

Jellylegs

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Jellylegs View Post
    In 1871 young William has become Edward and is with his grandparents James and Charlotte FIELD, living Paddock Road, Bushey, Hertfordshire. Transcribed on FMP as WILLS, but the original clearly says WILES, born Balham, Surrey.

I couldn't see a birth for a William WILES at the right time, but there is one on FreeBMD for an Edward WILES (March Q 1860, Wandsworth).

Census ref: RG10/1380/181/28 (record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

Jellylegs
    Well done Jellylegs, I missed him in 1871.

I also looked for the birth of young William, (I did not think to look under Edward) but the Wandsworth one for Edward is a possibility, there is also one in Wisbech for a William Day Wiles registered in March 1861, a relative perhaps?

I think I also spotted an Edward Wiles in later census married to an Elizabeth and born Friday '?someplace?'. I'll have to go back and look again to check this Friday place and see if it could be him, I ignored him when searching but now ......

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Thanks for all your replies. William was 1 year not 11 years as that would have meant his parents were only 14/15 when he was born. I have looked for Emma and Edwards death but i haven't found anything that shouts at me that it's them. Thanks jellylegs for finding William/Edward being with his Grandparents He may have been living with them or they may have just been looking after him for a short while. I'll take a look at the 1881 census see if that reveals anything. Strange to say that after 1861 i can find no trace of Edwards brother William who is with them at the time of the census. Strange that the three of them seem to have disappeared of gthe face of the earth.
    Thaks All.
    Susan

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

William, the brother, appears to be a lodger in 1881 at Lower Feversham Street, Middlesbrough.
    RG10/4892/8/10 (Record held by TNA, Crown copywrite)

Jellylegs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast