margaret bird

Default Rev Andrew Laidlaw

According to Illustrated London Gazette 0f 1/4/1870 he was presented by the Queen to church and parish of Kirkpatrick, Durham. Does anyone have access to a Crockfords of the period to find out more about him? Thank you

malcolm99

According to Illustrated London Gazette 0f 1/4/1870 he was presented by the Queen to church and parish of Kirkpatrick, Durham. Does anyone have access to a Crockfords of the period to find out more about him?

Hello Margaret

I wonder if this really is in County Durham in England as there is a small township in Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland called Kirkpatrick Durham. It used to be in Wigtownshire as far as I can see.

malcolm99

malcolm99

Hello Margaret
    This has intrigued me. I have found a reference to a Rev. Andrew Laidlaw on a web page that shows part of the index to ‘The Book of Kirkpatrick Durham Kirkcudbrightshire’ by Rev. William A Stark, Minister of the Parish, 1903. The page is at kirkyards.co.uk/kpd/book.asp?offset=150 (put www in front)
    This could well be your Andrew Laidlaw which means that he was in the Church of Scotland, not the Church of England and so may not be in Crockfords.
    It may be your Andrew Laidlaw who’s mentioned on page 125 of the 1896 Church of Scotland Year-Book here https://www.archive.org/stream/thechu...ge/n0/mode/2up
    I think this needs some Scottish experts to nail this properly.
    I’m sure there’s more about him somewhere!
    malcolm99

A fountain of knowledge

I'm not a Scottish expert, but this looks like him in Fasti Ecclesiĉ Scoticanĉ: https://www.archive.org/stream/fastie...search/laidlaw and (after he moved back to Glagow): https://www.archive.org/stream/fastie...search/laidlaw

Note: FES is a culmulative directory of CoS ministers published in 10 volumes around 1915. To find it in archive.org's search, enter "Fasti ecclesiĉ scoticanĉ" in the search box, noting that for 8 of the volumes you must use the ĉ ligature characters, but the other 2 are found without, i.e. "Fasti ecclesiae scoticanae". Searching on "ministers in the church of scotland" will find them all, and lots of other stuff I haven't looked at.

Procat

Quote Originally Posted by margaret bird View Post
    According to Illustrated London Gazette 0f 1/4/1870 he was presented by the Queen to church and parish of Kirkpatrick, Durham. Does anyone have access to a Crockfords of the period to find out more about him? Thank you
    Nothing in Crockfords 1868 or 1874 Directory for him.

margaret bird

Hello Malcolm 99. You are quite right-i assumed Durham, England and later found it was Scotland but thanks for putting me right. I have found quite a bit about in "Whos Who in Glasgow 1909" through Google Will try other references you gave me. Many thanks. Margaret

margaret bird

Thanks Chris. Will try your suggestions.

margaret bird

Hello again. Have just looked at FES and found plenty of info on other Laidlaws as well which has enabled me to place people in their families. many thanks.