Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kindelan

Default Deptford Records

I am currently researching the Bobin family whom come from Deptford, England. I have come across some birth, death and marriage certificates on Ancestry and Latter Day Saints however a lot of the certificates don't list parents or spouses names. Is this usual case for these certificates?

It makes it very hard to work out if that person is actually in your family tree. I have several and I would think most people have the same situation where the name is carried through the family ie George Bobin (father) - George Bobin (son).

Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Mutley

Sadly, in order to receive the full information from a certificate you have to pay your hard earned cash and send for it. There is no other way.

You can sometimes, find online, baptism information, the possible spouse for a marriage or a burial that may give you a clue to choosing the correct certificate. Census may also help with marriage partners or children.

If you give us some names and dates it may be possible for us to search the records and give you some clues. Some members have access to information that you may not have. We all aim to help each other.

Nicolina

I think you mean that you have found some transcriptions. Actual birth certificates contain mother and father's (where applicable) names and marriage certificate contain father's names. Death certificate contain the name of the person who reported the death and they might not even be related to the deceased.
    If you post names and approximate dates of birth for who you are trying to trace, we'll try and help you find them, on Censuses etc.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Would this be George BOBIN b. 26 MAr 1822 to George BOBIN & Charlotte of Gossfield Lane who was Baptised on April 16 1926 St.Pauls Deptford? More to find on London Births & Baptisms 1813 - 1906.
    Last edited by Waitabit; 29-05-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: error in address
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If the above is correct the Family is found on 1841 census (Crown copywright held by TNA)
    Class: HO107; Piece 493; Book: 4; Civil Parish: Charlton Next Woolwich; County: Kent; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 10; Page: 13;
    George snr 40 Shipwright,...Charlotte 35,........George15,....SAmuel 15,....Isaac 12,....Charlotte,.....10 & Rachel ..7.

1851 Class: HO107; Piece: 1588; Folio: 163; Page: 12;
    & 1861 etc show young George with his Wife Ann & Family.
    Class: RG9; Piece: 404; Folio: 123; Page: 34

1871 Ann a widow & dtr Martha are alone at 9 Prospect Row Woolwich Dockyards.
    Class: RG10; Piece: 779; Folio: 12; Page: 17;
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

kindelan

Wow, thankyou everyone for your advise and information. Nicolina you are correct, they are only transcriptions from Ancestory and LDS, so I will have to go with Mutley and purchase them. Can someone please give me the correct place to purchase them from and if they go back to the late 1770's.

Thank you Waitabit for the details you have found. George and Charlotte are part of the family tree.

The information I have so far is:

Joseph John Bobin B. abt 1806, Deptford. His parents were George and Ann. Joseph married Mary Chamberlain - 6 Sept 1829, St Nicholas, Deptford.

George Bobin B. abt 1777 D. Abt 1847 George married twice apparently. 1st to Charlotte and 2nd to Ann. George and Ann had 5 children - George, Eliza, Benjamin, Joseph (above) and Sarah. George's parents were John and Mary (Wrench).

John Bobin B. abt 1745, married Mary Wrench 27 Nov 1767, Deptford. They had 7 children, Susannah, Mary, John, Isaac, George (above), Sophia and Rebecca.

All of this info I have put together from transcripts and other family trees from Ancestry.

Apparently John Bobin entered the Royal Navy Dockyard in 1756 as an apprentice Shipwright.

Mutley

There are two types of records (well that is not quite true but will do for now otherwise we will get complicated).
    Certificates
    Parish Register Entries.

Certificates were issued after 1837 and you have to send to the General Registry Office for them.
    There are three very good PDF files on there that you can download telling you what you should expect to find on a birth, marriage or death certificate.

Parish Register Entries are what you need prior to 1837. As you are looking in the Deptford area and have found the transcriptions on Ancestry you can download the original entries from there if you have a subscription. There is a limited amount of information in the parish records especially when you go back further and you are very lucky to find information from the 1700s.

The LDS have offices all around the world and you can order a copy of the parish record you want at your nearest branch and buy it from them.

I hope this helps

barbobmar

Kindelan - seen your entry. I am also tracing the Bobin line and it was probably my entries you have seen on ancestry.com.By all means send me an email and we can follow up.

Mutley

Welcome to the forum barbobmar.

kindelan as not been on the forum for a while but is still a member,
    hopefully your post will be received by the 'notification method' and you will get a reply.

Fingers crossed and good luck.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Joseph John Bobin (1806 - 1869)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Welcome to the forum barbobmar.

kindelan as not been on the forum for a while but is still a member,
    hopefully your post will be received by the 'notification method' and you will get a reply.

Fingers crossed and good luck.
    kindelan - I feel we are related through Joseph John Bobin (1806 - 1869). Mine through Albert James BOBIN (1888 - 1972) and yours Alice May BOBIN (1884 - 1972). They are brother and sister. Would love to hear from you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast